If you could bring back one thing...

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by TKI67, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    We each have our golden era of Trad, and the things we love come and eventually go. I imagine this has been done before, but either for the fun of it or maybe even to encourage some crowd funded phoenix, or even a revival of an old item by an existing brand, what one thing from your golden era would you bring back? Would it be some small but special item like the Bass Sportocassin (sp.?) or the Sperry Kudu or the Gant Hugger? Would it be some entire line or brand like Chipp or Barrie Ltd.? Maybe something outrageous, like the ultimate GTH pants that Lily Pulitzer made for men or the quirky Pendleton Topster? Some special store, like the Georgetown University Shop or Lewis & Thomas Saltz? Would it be the resurrection of past glory for some brand that continues, but seemingly in name only, like Abercrombie & Fitch or Bass Weejuns? How does your moment and place in life reflect your choice? If I were still working and living in the north, I might choose one way, but being retired and in Texas I’d feel I’d wasted a bullet if I brought back Rogers Peet. Personally, I’d really love another pair of Sperry Kudus, but I’d find a way if I could get a Chipp sport coat with outrageous lining.

eagle2250 and Clintotron like this.
  2. Billax

Billax Super Member

Durham, NC & San Francisco, CA
    United States
    North Carolina
    Durham
    Great topic, TK167! I'll respond a bit later today.

Clintotron likes this.
  3. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    I look forward to it. I am active on two other discussion fora, Chowhound and Steve Hoffman Forums. Occasionally I find that cookware manufacturers take the information from Chowhound posts to create responsive products. There is no need in the arena of SHF as we are clearly in a golden age of stereo equipment, including the twin renaissance of tube amplifiers and wonderful turntables. However, I would love it if clothing manufacturers would take us into account. For example I’ve seen several sport coats with lovely fabric, but I just can’t pull the trigger on double vents! I’ll wager Orvis could sell more coats with very minor changes, like changing to a hook vent and changing a three button front to a three/two roll.

4. Corcovado

Corcovado Senior Member

United States
    KY
    Lexington
    Off the top of my head, the first thing that came to mind is: must-iron OCBD shirts readily available, such as from LL Bean. (As opposed to costly shirts ordered from Mercer & Sons etc.)

TKI67 likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I'm with Billax, great topic TK167.

I'm sure I'll have more later, but in mid-'80s, before Abercrombie and Fitch was bought out by the Limited Brands and on its way to becoming a (for a brief moment in time) cooler version of The Gap, I bought several white, cotton, tab-collar (with short points closed with a metal stud, which was included) dress shirts that (1) looked like they came straight out of the 1960s (see pic below), (2) felt like perfect cotton sheets and (3) lasted forever.

I've bought a lot of tab-collar shirts since, but none ever capture that '60s looked and feel like those A&F ones.

The collar looked pretty much like this one on George C. Scott in 1961's "The Hustler" (a fantastic movie).
    anatomy-of-a-murder-george-c-scott.jpg

6. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    I remember that look so well from about 1965 and thought it was so damned cool. Both BB and JAB had tab collar offerings, but they just didn’t capture the look.

Billax and Fading Fast like this.
  7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I'm with you - a very understated, cool look. I have bought nearly every brand's tab collar since - and had a few MTM ones done along the way, too - but none ever captured that perfect '60s tab-collar look like those '80s A&F shirts.

And the thing is, I'm the same size today as then - I should have bought fifty of them back in the '80s (not that I had the money to do so then even if I had had the foresight :().

Clintotron, Billax and TKI67 like this.
  8. poppies

poppies New Member

United States
    California
    Los Angeles
    Widely available swelled edge jackets would be nice.

9. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    My mom all but didn't cook (she hated it), so I grew up eating this and various version of it:
    9bfce81f2de46e52d71984ceb99481ef.jpg
    Always disappointed with how small the Apple Cake Cobbler portion was - but if it got crispy, it was quite tasty. Oh, I used to toss the peas and carrots in the garbage.

Troones, ran23, TKI67 and 3 others like this.
  10. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Back in the mid 1960's I had a Woolrich hooded parka made of navy blue Melton wool fabric, with ivory hued pile lining in both the body of the coat and the hood. As I recall, it was priced less than $50 and the colors were close enough to Penn States colors that that parka was a must have. Wish they could bring that coat back...I would pick one up in a heartbeat! ;)

ran23 and TKI67 like this.