If you could bring back one thing...

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I will limit my response to things I once had, or still have but that no longer fit, or things I should have bought but didn't when I had the chance.

1. A corduroy/suede/wool Invertere Squire coat like my dad bought for me at
Edward Chapman in Vancouver in 1975.

2. 2 or 3 Made in France Calvin Klein suits and sportcoats like I bought at
Saks and Robinson's circa 1977-1982.

3. 2 or 3 more half zip long sleeve cotton mock/turtlenecks like I bought at
Parachute in Soho in 1986/87.

4. 2 or 3 more Made in France Agnes B. suits like the one I bought in L.A. in

5. 2 or 3 more pair of the Bally Cymbal slip on that my mom bought for me
on Rodeo Drive in June 1983.

6. The tweed Polo Ralph Lauren overcoat that Woody Allen wore in Hannah
and Her Sisters.
Fun list. Re #6, Allen sports a lot of Trad/Ivy clothes in his movies. That coat is fantastic. You should keep your eye on TweedyDon's site. Also, there are several firms in Ireland that make similar coats to Allen's that might work for you. Below are a couple, but a Google search will produce more. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but have emailed with a few. Hope this helps.

http://www.murphyofireland.com

https://www.harristweedshop.com/harris-tweed-overcoat.html

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
Howard, all the best for your father and the whole family. Making the dietary changes you have described will be an adventure, and I’m sure you will have many sources of support and advice. Low sodium but still delicious cooking is quite attainable. If you want any ideas or easy recipes, feel free to message me.

Thanks TK. :)

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Alexandria
I'd bring back high end casual/outdoor wear - the alternative to tee shirts and shorts for a world that doesn't want to wear a suit.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I'd bring back high end casual/outdoor wear - the alternative to tee shirts and shorts for a world that doesn't want to wear a suit.
Can you expand on this? Last night we went to a fairly upscale interior Mexican restaurant with some friends. I wore a J. Press Madras shirt, a pair of Nantucket greens from Murray’s, a yellow surcingle belt, and Sperrys. Does that qualify?

peterc

United States
california
san francisco
Fading, thanks, I will check out those coats.

I must also add - in case anyone was wondering - that the clothes I mentioned, especially the CK suits and the Agnes B. suits, fit me really well. Totally unlike suits today which, for the most part, don't fit me well (the J.Press blazer I tried on NYC recently being a notable exception). There is no question in my mind that the construction of men's tailored clothing has shifted away from being based on how men are actually built to something else entirely. One of the reasons I am so sure of this is because my nephew still has the Agnes B. suit I bought in 1994. When I try on the jacket (which of course no longer fits me) it feels like I am trying on something that actually will fit but in a larger size. In contrast to today, when I try something one, there is frequently no size that works. I am speaking predominantly of the fit at the chest, shoulder and armhole.

I also forgot to mention the 2 Made in England Paul Smith suits I bought in NYC when the PS shop first opened. One of them was $950.00 at full price - I got that one on sale. If you ever saw that suit and felt the fabric, you would know why it was $950.00. The other was a worsted wool black/white hounsdtooth. If you want to see what these PS clothes looked like, check out the Simply Red concert from the Ritz in NYC circa 1986 that I just found on youtube. All their clothes on the 1986/87 tour were Paul Smith. Saw them at the Beacon in NYC in 1987. Fantastic. What years!!!

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Saw them [Simply Red] at the Beacon in NYC in 1987. Fantastic. What years!!!
Agree. About the years and about Simply Red. CDs were new then, and their first was my first. I must go to the cellar and dig it out.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Agree. About the years and about Simply Red. CDs were new then, and their first was my first. I must go to the cellar and dig it out.
Talking about firsts, 1986/87 covers the big one for me (was during high school). It may have even been to Simply Red, but more likely to the Cure. Those were the years, indeed.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Talking about firsts, 1986/87 covers the big one for me (was during high school). It may have even been to Simply Red, but more likely to the Cure. Those were the years, indeed.
We speak of different firsts, but you know that. Had mine come the years yours did I would have been the 41 year-old virgin. Lovin' the 80s should not be confined to school kids of the era, tho that probably helps. Full grown and stupid, we adults of back then, we remember. Take my tears and that's not nearly all.