StephenRG

Honors Member
United States
New York
Merrick
^^
Not intending to restart the American Revolutionary War, but I have four pair of Cheaneys and love them all, but I also have four times as many pairs of Alden designs and I love them even more! My blood must run Red, White and Blue. ;)
...which also happen to be the colours of the Union Flag (or Union Jack as it is popularly known). :)

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
...which also happen to be the colours of the Union Flag (or Union Jack as it is popularly known). :)
Not to mention France, The Netherlands, Australia, Cuba, etc. I've never understood the notion that this colour combo is somehow uniquely American.

But what were we talking about again? Oh yeah - shell. Alden's shell isn't "better" than that of any other manufacturer who sources their shells from Horween.

TDWat

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Central
I have a couple pairs of Aldens and a couple pairs of C&J (not all are cordovan). C&J has demonstrably better finishing and attention to detail, especially in the stitching. On the other hand, I stick with Alden for cordovan. As others have noted, Alden's Color 8 is unique, and I like it better than C&J's offering, which is a bit more red. I also think the blocky Alden lasts and construction tends to look better with cordovan, especially with loafers.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts