JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Question: do you take your suit jacket off while driving?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You will get some creasing if you leave it on so I am more inclined to take it off. Summer more likely yes, winter more likely no. I think most well made MTM can deliver a well fitted higher arm hole which is preferable and increases arm mobility.

rockstar57

Canada
ON
Toronto
Perhaps just take the jacket off while driving? Free solution?
That is certainly one option, but my problem is do I really have to go bespoke to get a armhole high enough that won't give me any constraint while I'm driving? I don't think there are that many RTW brands that cut a higher armhole than my Canali slim suit.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
[D]o I really have to go bespoke to get a armhole high enough that won't give me any constraint while I'm driving?
Probably. But try an off-the-rack Southwick jacket first. I have pretty good arm mobility when wearing my RTW Southwick sport coats.

If trying on a ready-made Southwick jacket isn't feasible, then it's on to MTM. Or pick some other fictional movie character besides James Bond to emulate.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
Reminds me of when I was young and in business with a guy who was a one term governor of a rather corrupt southern state (essentially because he was too honest, earning him a reputation of not being too bright, which was just not true).
The young idiot that I was thought he was a huge square, in part because he did things like meticulously lay his jacket across the backseat when driving, even for a short drive to lunch. Now of course I do the same.

That said, even before I wised up and when off the rack armholes were located somewhere near the waist, I never found wearing a suit jacket the least bit constraining when driving.

Perhaps something else is in play.

UteLawyer

United States
UT
Salt Lake City
Who are you trying to impress with your James Bond impersonation while driving? Movie directors often make choices that don't square with reality just because they think it will film better.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
Cesare Attolini MTM should fill the bill at about 150% the cost of bespoke.
That’s why Attolini and similiarly priced brands (among them, Brioni, Kiton and Oxxford) are a colossal waste of money. Outside of quantity of hand stitching in many cases, bespoke is far better in every way for so much less.

rockstar57

Canada
ON
Toronto
Who are you trying to impress with your James Bond impersonation while driving? Movie directors often make choices that don't square with reality just because they think it will film better.
I just find it ridiculous to not be able to drive comfortably with the suit jacket on.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts