FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
Over the past week, I've been experiencing an increasing number of ads when visiting AAAC. It seems I'm spending more time trying to get rid of unwanted ads than I'm spending actually reading posts. Not only is the number of ads multiplying (faster than rabbits) it seems all of them are completely irrelevant. I really have no interest in or need for the Wisconsin Infant & Child nutrition program, Wisconsin addiction Recovery Helpline, Old Dominion Freight Lines, Dr. Marty or Carefree Mini Pads. These are just ads that have popped up since starting this thread!

mlenecare

United States
illinois
lemont
I haven't noticed an increase here though I'm always surprised at how non topical the adds are whenever I'm looking at something related to classic men's style online. I was watching an interview with Dean Girling and Tony Gaziano. The add I got was for some kind of women's sports bra for heavyset women.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
@FiscalDean - We've switched over to a new ad demand partner, and are working with them to optimize the ad-stack for logged-in users as well as those not logged in.

When you're logged in, you will see fewer ads than if you were not.

If you prefer not to see ads at all, for the time being, I'd recommend installing an ad-blocker.

The new demand partner will help us better monetize our site traffic.

As for the non-relevant ads showing up, in most cases the demand network ads use retargeting to hopefully show relevant ads. So, if someone on your computer has visited a particular website, you may see ads related to the websites the other person has visited.

It's not a perfect system, so you may also see ads that are unrelated to anything you or someone else have visited.

In those cases, the ads that you see will likely be determined by the advertiser who pays the most to have their ads presented on our site.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
No, Fiscal, it's not just you. My concern, though, isn't the content of the ads. Rather, the many, many ads slowly download one by one, and my computer screen lurches every time an ad appears. As a result, I have to wait until the screen stops twitching.

Also, ever since this site's "upgrade" occurred, my computer has been acting as if it's stuck in molasses--often there's a few seconds' delay between the time I press a key and when the corresponding character appears on the screen.

All the lurching is the worst part, though. I'm thinking about calling it a day.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
@Charles Dana - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As for the ads, we're working with the new demand partner to optimize the ad-stack, and are planning to lighten the ad-stack for logged in users (members).

If there are other technical issues related to the forum upgrade to Xenforo, we'd be happy to help you investigate that further to determine if it's related to the forum software itself, or the ad-stack.

FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
No, Fiscal, it's not just you. My concern, though, isn't the content of the ads. Rather, the many, many ads slowly download one by one, and my computer screen lurches every time an ad appears. As a result, I have to wait until the screen stops twitching.

Also, ever since this site's "upgrade" occurred, my computer has been acting as if it's stuck in molasses--often there's a few seconds' delay between the time I press a key and when the corresponding character appears on the screen.

All the lurching is the worst part, though. I'm thinking about calling it a day.
I've also experienced the lurching. It really gets to be annoying.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
And then there's the thing with ads that move, videos the kids call them. Stuff that moves requires massive amounts of data and here in the tree tops we have metered data and if it's wasted on a moving ad that means I have none left to send me mum a little video of me and the kids.

Okay, she's been dead for 20 years and I have no kids, but you get the point: this place is sucking up all my data.

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
This place is sucking up all my data.
@Peak and Pine - have you considered using an Ad blocker? Since data consumption is an issue, an ad blocker would definitely help you -- not only on our site, but others you visit as well. Also, Ad blockers usually give you the ability to white list sites, so if there is a particular site that you go to where you want to see ads, you could have ads show on that site, and not on others.

...I already brought up with Mikel. Hopefully this will eventually disappear.
@Oldsarge - I'm working on it with our ad partner :) We've already addressed one of the issues, but going to explore other ideas I have too.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts