knezz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Is there any place in "Black Tie" for a wing collar?

I scored a removable wing collar from Brooks Brothers. I've read a few lines of information but didn't see any for or against wing collars for "Black Tie".

I know that wing collars are definately for "White Tie" but what about "Black Tie"? I've seen quite a few classic films from the 40's and 50's where wing collars were worn with "Black Tie" (but doesn't mean it's correct).

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
No. Like opera pumps, wing collars should not be worn at Black-tie events.

However, most of the people would not know and or care.

Taliesin

United States
DC
Washington
One may "correctly" wear a wing-collar shirt with a tuxedo in the United States. Ditto for opera pumps. The wing looks best, in the view of many, with a peak-lapel jacket.

These aesthetic preferences and practices are apparently frowned upon in the UK. It's a jurisdictional issue: follow the law of your location. Analogy: we don't drive on the left in the USA, even though it's "correct" to do it that way in London.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
Absolutely. I have no idea what the naysayers are on about. The wing collar (detachable collar, of course) long predates the turn-down collar for black tie wear.

To prove the point, here's Jeeves, the quintessential gentleman's personal gentleman, fitting his man into black tie rig, complete with wing collar:

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
Even in the UK, you will have many people wearing wing-collars.

Then you have the over-dressed, who try to bring white-white into black-tie.

Sean1982

I like a stiff starched high detachable collar on a stiff starched shirt for black tie, with a single breasted peaked lapel grosgrain one button dj and low cut waistcoat, high cut trousers and braces etc. With satin/notch/shawl/cummerbund etc, not for me. And with an attached wing collar, never, they are abominations.

If it's good enough for Poirot, then it's good enough for me!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts