Items of 'classic' menswear you just don't like?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Skipperino, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Skipperino

Skipperino New Member

Great Britain
    Lincolnshire
    Lincoln
    Anyone else have the odd item of menswear, considered 'classic' to most, indespensible to some, that you just don't like? My own pet dislikes are (and I don't quite know why):

*Pocket squares. Very rare I wear them, except on the most formal of outfits (and even then, not always).

*Bouttonieres. See above.

*Opera pumps in white tie. I just don't think it looks right with trousers (breeches would be another matter)

Thoughts?

Matt S and delicious_scent like this.
  2. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    The oxford-cloth button-down shirt is one for me. I don't have a problem with oxford cloth or with button-down collars, but I don't like the way the shirts are usually designed. The collars are too low and too narrow and the cuffs are too short for my taste. These days they always have a pocket, which I don't like on most shirts. I can't stand the box pleat in back. I'd be open to the idea of having one made to my own specifications, but it wouldn't look like the BB classic.

3. EdwardWilson

EdwardWilson New Member

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    You'd hate my style. I wear linen pocket squares everyday. And a flower in my lapel. I couldn't imagine putting on a suit or sport coat without both.

Agree with Matt S, Oxford shirts and definitely button down collared shirts are not for me.

Not a fan of black shoes, or cap toe shoes. They both scream boring and uninspired.

[​IMG]

ran23 likes this.
  4. Audi S5 TC

Audi S5 TC Advanced Member

The Lofts Apartments
    United States
    New York
    Farmingdale
    Outside of formal wear, I no longer like the color black for any clothing, jewelry, shoes and watches. I wore it so much as a teenager and young adult that I’m sick to death of it.

TKI67 and Clintotron like this.
  5. richard warren

richard warren Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    covington
    Boring and uninspiring is rather the point of black cap toe oxfords. Many people can only aspire to boring and uninspiring, and would look a lot better if they could ever achieve it.

I think the term “pocket square” is unfortunate, but sometimes like to put a white, colored, or patterned handkerchief of cotton, linen, or silk in my breast pocket (actually, it’s the third handkerchief).

cosmotoast, Matt S and ran23 like this.
  6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Tassel loafers. I don’t get it.

7. At Law

At Law Senior Member

United States
    Nebraska
    Omaha
    I love tassel loafers.

TKI67 and eagle2250 like this.
  8. EdwardWilson

EdwardWilson New Member

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    The term is not unfortunate, it is simply precise. There is a difference between a pocket square and handkerchief.

9. delicious_scent

delicious_scent Super Member

Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Regina
    Amusing, I've been wanting black tassel loafers.

Tassels to me have a bit of a jauntier vibe than other types of loafers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

FLMike and ran23 like this.
  10. ItalianStyle

ItalianStyle Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Cambridge
    My personal list (and these are by no means general rules, just my own personal dislike...)

- Tasseled loafers... in fact anything with tassels (only one step away from ruffled shirts)
    - Split-toe shoes (just don't like the look)
    - Chukkas (yes, I know... I'm a minority here. To me they look like a cobbler started to make a boot from the sole up and when he got to the ankle he ran out of material or lost interest and just rudimentary cut them off)
    - Tie bars (so 1980s...)

cosmotoast and ran23 like this.