Semper Jeep

I have a sportcoat in color and scale of pattern roughly the same as that overcoat. I bought it on a whim but have only worn it sparingly as I've always had a hard time pairing it (mine me be a bit more black than the one pictured which appears to have a bit of brown in it, at least on my screen). Any tips from you more knowledgeable folks on what color trousers to pair a sportcoat like that with?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I sincerely respect that view, but at 55, I am just trying to balance some of that view with not looking completely out of step. Not only for my personal life, but professionally, it's important to strike a balance as too tied-to-the-old-ways effects how people perceive your professional abilities.
I think that's the right thing to do. It's easy for me to offer opinions as a retiree that're more difficult for those who aren't to pursue due to professional considerations. Particularly, as I understand your profession, you're selling trust, and you are your own brand, so dressing for that role is vital. Your social and professional life likely overlap to a significant degree.

:beer:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I think that's the right thing to do. It's easy for me to offer opinions as a retiree that're more difficult for those who aren't to pursue due to professional considerations. Particularly, as I understand your profession, you're selling trust, and you are your own brand, so dressing for that role is vital. Your social and professional life likely overlap to a significant degree.

:beer:
Well said.

It was easy when I started as the "Wall St." suit construct was the established standard and we all just tried to execute on it. Now, there's no standard and you have to "feel" your way through each situation, company, client, etc.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
If I were to find one of those jackets, I fear all semblance of reason would go out the window and I would buy it...even though I'd only get to wear it perhaps once per year! Though I could put it on and turn the A/C on, setting the temp real low? :icon_scratch:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I give Ralph and his team a lot of credit as this looks great, but it is not something I'd ever have thought to put together.

Ralph: "Hey, how 'bout a brown tweed houndstooth sport coat (with a rust overlay stripe) with brown corduroys and a charcoal crewneck wool sweater?

Me: "That would never look good, pleeeease."

He shows it to me in the photo above.

Me: "Hmm, well, I guess that's why you own a massively successful clothing company and I don't."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.