Flanderian

Connoisseur
W W Chan bespoke. I like all 3 items on the form individually, and as an eye-catching display it certainly succeeds. But I find the handsome DB molekin/flannel vest and kelly green tie at odds with what is otherwise styling straight from American sportswear vernacular.

WWChanGreyHerringbone01-done.jpg

WWChanGreyHerringbone02-done.jpg

WWChanGreyHerringbone03-done.jpg

WWChanGreyHerringbone04-don.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
W W Chan bespoke. I like all 3 items on the form individually, and as an eye-catching display it certainly succeeds. But I find the handsome DB molekin/flannel vest and kelly green tie at odds with what is otherwise styling straight from American sportswear vernacular.

View attachment 47457

View attachment 47458

View attachment 47459

View attachment 47460
I've always wondered what my grey-herringbone Tweed sport coat would look like if I had mega money.

Take out its darts and it checks most boxes I have for that sport coat.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I've always wondered what my grey-herringbone Tweed sport coat would look like if I had mega money.

Take out its darts and it checks most boxes I have for that sport coat.
It certainly would look good as you suggest. But I'm not a pure TNSIL guy, and prefer darts. I believe W W Chan's original aesthetic orientation was conservative versions of classic English tailoring. (Not contemporary!) and I'd find this cut pretty close to my ideal, though I'd wish slightly less waist suppression and a bit less shoulder.

I like the idea of both the tie and vest, I'd simply wish to change them up a bit. The tie looks as if it might be cashmere, and I'd rather a finer woven tweed in a bit softer green. The vest color is great, but I find the execution a bit too formal for the jacket, and would prefer something like a sleeveless cardigan, such as the handsome one below from O'Connell's.

oconnells-scottish-lambswool-sleeveless-cardigan-burgundy-ch01520-6_1.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
The last outfit posted, and repeated in full below, is an as-is find. Personal taste can pick it apart til the cows come home, but not from this quarter. Would have liked to have seen it with shirt, will imagine a white one. Then you'd have a full-on dark Spumone. Delicious in this 90° heat. In Maine no less. Hand me a spoon. Pretend the pants are deep charcoal.

WWChanGreyHerringbone01-done.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
It certainly would look good as you suggest. But I'm not a pure TNSIL guy, and prefer darts. I believe W W Chan's original aesthetic orientation was conservative versions of classic English tailoring. (Not contemporary!) and I'd find this cut pretty close to my ideal, though I'd wish slightly less waist suppression and a bit less shoulder.

I like the idea of both the tie and vest, I'd simply wish to change them up a bit. The tie looks as if it might be cashmere, and I'd rather a finer woven tweed in a bit softer green. The vest color is great, but I find the execution a bit too formal for the jacket, and would prefer something like a sleeveless cardigan, such as the handsome one below from O'Connell's.

View attachment 47462
I agree completely on the vest - the other one's aesthetic is off to my eye, the cardigan is perfect.

And to be honest, darts are not a deal breaker for me, just prefer no-darts better. Most of my sport coats and suits are RTW or MTM darted. And with my frame, unless the cut is right and tailor skilled, the sack can look too big on me anyway.

So, what I'm saying is, if you are wondering what to get me for Christmas, the W W Chan sport coat would be perfect. :)

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Some here may overlook the following for lack of cardigan, bow tie, bold striped shirt, rainbow square, Fair Isle, collar pin, contrasting collar, cuff links, the Last Supper woven into the cloth, whatever. Gussiest up this isn't. Simple. Straight forward. Left wanting similar to climb into. C'est francais. A grail piece.

05dc63df9411354c39f7ac32b34ef20c.jpg

The shirt is barely lavender. Or I'm pretending it is.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Some here may overlook the following for lack of cardigan, bow tie, bold striped shirt, rainbow square, Fair Isle, collar pin, contrasting collar, cuff links, the Last Supper woven into the cloth, whatever. Gussiest up this isn't. Simple. Straight forward. Left wanting similar to climb into. C'est francais. A grail piece.

View attachment 47487

The shirt is barely lavender. Or I'm pretending it is.
My taste would run more to peach but either way . . . Wow!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
1940s-cuff.jpg

The caption said Donegal Tweed but no more.

That is a man wearing a suit.

I could be wrong, but I think that is Park Avenue in the background. Next time I get over there (not moving around the city like I used to pre-pandemic), I'll look to see if the building to the left that I think is still there is the one I have in mind.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
View attachment 47494
The caption said Donegal Tweed but no more.

That is a man wearing a suit.

I could be wrong, but I think that is Park Avenue in the background. Next time I get over there (not moving around the city like I used to pre-pandemic), I'll look to see if the building to the left that I think is still there is the one I have in mind.
Pretty sure that's Bugsy's buddy -

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Love it. Beautiful suit and good job by you on tying it back to AA. I remember that AA pic only because I have a ridiculous passion for bold grey herringbone suits.
Thank you.

I was immediately put in mind of one of my favorite 1938 AA/Esky illustrations upon seeing the Rubinacci photo. While some details are obviously different, so many are surprisingly the same, but it is most astounding (And reassuring.) that after 82 years the feel of each is so similar. Good doesn't go away.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
On mute in the background on TCM right now is the outstanding 1945 British film "Brief Encounter."

There are a lot of cool clothes in it (note the overcoats in the pics below) including several neat Tweeds back when Tweeds were just regular-people clothing.

So far, these are the best pics I could find. Her suit is outstanding and looks better on screen than in the pics.

Brief Encounter (1945).mkv_snapshot_00.25.39_[2012.07.30_00.52.06].jpg

trevor-howard-and-celia-johnson-in-brief-encounter-1945--album.jpg

Celia-Johnson-In-Brief-Encounter-bw-MCDBREN_EC012_H1.jpg
90.jpeg

0344DC190000044D-0-image-a-68_1449797940367.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.