Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Luca says, "Ciao! :hi:

Luca closes the circle expressing his inner Apparel Arts/Esquire circa 1938. Fashions change, but style endures.

View attachment 47501

View attachment 47502
Dear Flanderian Santa,

I hope your summer is going well and you and Mrs. Claus are being safe.

I know that recently I asked for the W W Chan sport coat for Christmas, but having now seen the "Luca" herringbone suit, I want to change my wish.

To be sure, I'll be happy with either (or both :) ), but since the suit is now at the top of my list, I wanted to get to you before the elves start cutting a pattern.

Stay well, see you in December,

FF

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
On mute in the background on TCM right now is the outstanding 1945 British film "Brief Encounter."

There are a lot of cool clothes in it (note the overcoats in the pics below) including several neat Tweeds back when Tweeds were just regular-people clothing.

So far, these are the best pics I could find. Her suit is outstanding and looks better on screen than in the pics.

View attachment 47515
View attachment 47516
View attachment 47517 View attachment 47518
View attachment 47519
Marvelous clothing! Most of these look to be publicity "stills" from the films, and the photography is typically exceptional. Really talented people making and promoting these films.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Marvelous clothing! Most of these look to be publicity "stills" from the films, and the photography is typically exceptional. Really talented people making and promoting these films.
Absolutely. As you've said, they really truly cared about the choice and tailoring of the clothes in movies back then. And the stills usually have incredible detail. I've seen the movie several times and was busy with work, so I only looked up now and then, but almost every time I was impressed with the clothing.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
You can end the hunt for George Raft authentification. It's not George Raft. Simple as that.

Back to the pics of current tweed, and a suggestion: start a separate thread where all those old movie tweeds can be dumped. I won't be bothering anyone in that one..

826ca12cf692a4c2a622b443d89d4c0f.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Not a huge houndstooth fan, but can't deny that this ⇧ is an impressive jacket.

Our friend Leslie Howard would agree.
75964aa76d227d5baea93fb9d951dea2.jpg

As Flanderian noted with the "Luca" suit, some of these modern clothes have clear '30s/Apparel Arts progenitors. I couldn't find a full shot of this coat, but the close-up does show off some handsome details.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
DSCF6731.jpg

I like it. I'd prefer a slightly wider cut and I'd have gone with cuffs both because it helps "straighten" the line of heavy Tweeds like these and I think it provides a nicer "finish" to the bottom of the trousers.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Punked tweed. Little here unlikeable.

6c7cbbd403927c7803a22e17e9d3cfb9.jpg

A 20-something slides into this with ease. Whaddabout a 70 plus, a thin one with okay posture. Laughable? Dunno, working on it. With a fuller cut jean, no back pack, no iPod. Are you like me, can't picture yourself in anything, so you come up with someone you think looks like you, a celeb or a stranger and you picture them in whatever it is that's on, or drools from, your mind? Hopper, Pacino, Eames at the pharmacy, I've used them. Bohemian with only toes on common ground, but rooted nonetheless. No fried out gray hair in a pony tail riding a Harley in sleeveless leather or pipe smoking wizened gent who at last got him a 'Vette. No. Just a stroller of a country road. Humming replacing iPod, watch stuffed in pocket, doesn't care for the time, dressed as above, maybe dirtier but smelling good.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
View attachment 47553
I like it. I'd prefer a slightly wider cut and I'd have gone with cuffs both because it helps "straighten" the line of heavy Tweeds like these and I think it provides a nicer "finish" to the bottom of the trousers.
Agreed on both counts, but not a bad pair of trousers. In addition to modifications, I'd rather double forward-facing. and a 1/2" or so longer inseam.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
too bad it is 103 today.
I'm impressed...your 103 degree high temp beat our paltry 90 degree high temp by a resounding 13 degrees; but our 89% humidity for the day made it feel like it was close to 100 degrees! That's got to count for something, eh? In any event, Tweeds are definitely out for this day! LOL. ;)