Duvel

Connoisseur
United States
Iowa
Newton
They lost me around 2009 when they started going all skinny-trendy with everything. I guess that's the risk of following fashion instead of staying true to tradition.

Tahmasp

United States
New York
New York City
They lost me around 2009 when they started going all skinny-trendy with everything. I guess that's the risk of following fashion instead of staying true to tradition.
J Crew's failure to serve trad customers is definitely not the source of its problems. And for a clothing company, there are far more risks associated with refusing to change than in pursuing trends.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
J Crew sometimes shoots and scores and sometimes fails miserably. I honestly cannot think of the last time I bought anything from J Crew unless deeply discounted (other than gift items). Maybe that's part of the problem.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
With me it was the boxer shorts. They used to be great, and a bargain when they went on sale for $7 or thereabouts. I have some pairs that are, honest-to-goodness, five years old and still serviceable. Now, the fabric is thin and flimsy and they cost $12.50 on sale, the same price as BB on sale.

It's nuts to pay as much as J. Crew charges for cheap made-in-China schlock. Used to be, you'd rarely see J. Crew on thrift store racks. Now, it's ubiquitous. That speaks volumes.

Duvel

Connoisseur
United States
Iowa
Newton
I see. Thanks for the insight. Frankly, on a personal level, I don't really care if J. Crew survives or tanks, as my interest or loyalty to J. Crew is zilch. And, if a company at that level, with its history and supposed edge on the fashion industry can't make it, then maybe it is just as well that it does not.

J Crew's failure to serve trad customers is definitely not the source of its problems. And for a clothing company, there are far more risks associated with refusing to change than in pursuing trends.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Seems from these and a few other articles I've read - and a friend I have who is in the fashion industry - that where J.Crew is hurting most is in its women's line. That said, how recursive does the story seem.

A very successful retail clothing company gets bought out, loads up on debt and then - as always happens - misses a trend, stocks up on the wrong items, pushes the wrong colors for a season, or whatever - something that happens to 100% of the retail clothing companies at some time - and all of a sudden, the company is in trouble.

It's the debt that always does it. It's a toxic combination to heavily leverage a retail clothing company to the point that it needs constant growth - that it needs to constantly get it right. No retail clothing company ever does.

Despite its issues - the super skinny stuff, some (not all) overpriced clothing, its whack-a-mole sales model - I still find, with some effort, that I can buy some great classics and - heresy or not - some interestingly updated versions of classic / some new take on a classic that is well-made for the price.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I think this is the pitfall of clothing companies who chase trends. The payoff can be big, but if you miss you're done for the year.

Brooks Brothers on the other hand can afford to move slowly but is hardly in a position to catch fire. They have introduced the Red Fleece line to attract a bit of a younger crowd.

J Crew is a good brand. They'll retool and be ok but I'm not sure their merchandise will be appealing to those it appealed to 10-15 years ago.

Duvel

Connoisseur
United States
Iowa
Newton
My wife at one time was a huge fan of J. Crew. She has not found anything to like in the last few years. She's become a huge fan of Brooks Brothers, in the meantime, and I have to say, her Brooks dresses and such are very, very nice.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
My wife at one time was a huge fan of J. Crew. She has not found anything to like in the last few years. She's become a huge fan of Brooks Brothers, in the meantime, and I have to say, her Brooks dresses and such are very, very nice.
Like your wife, my girlfriend has struggled the past few seasons to find things at J.Crew that she likes - and her closet is full of J.Crew from prior years. She, like your wife, was an early warning that something had gone wrong at J.Crew womens.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts