Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I had a great visit to the J.Press store on 44th street yesterday.

The store, while smaller, is more attractive than the Press store that closed in NYC a few years back, but, of course, doesn't equal the incredible original NYC location, but those days have long past.

The selection is pretty good for a smallish store - and they did a smart thing by packing in a lot of merchandise so that it feels a bit like the old-style men's stores that used to have huge amounts of merchandise on their sales floors.

The other really nice thing were the two salesmen who were knowledgeable and helpful, but not at all "salesy" or pushy. They really know their stuff and guided me to the right size on a few items, while noting details like raglan sleeves without prompting. My guess, most BB salespeople don't even know what a raglan sleeve is.

I finally broke down (after years of pining) and bought a light-grey Shaggy Dog sweater ⇩
IMG_5831.JPG

The sweater is awesome. It looks and feels better in person than in the pic here and those on-line. It's very heavy - it's a cold-day sweater for sure and just feels great. Also, I own a few (or 8 billion) sweaters and almost everyone is a medium, but I bought a small (as the guys suggested just from looking at me). To be direct - it fits exactly like most mediums from other brands - just an FYI if someone wants to order one on-line.

I'm pretty comfortable this is going to become a go-to sweater. Also, I plan to visit the Press store more. For those of you who visit NYC, it is really conveniently located, as it is, literally, right outside of Grand Central (a place most tourists visit).

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville

The store, while smaller, is more attractive than the Press store that closed in NYC a few years back, but, of course, doesn't equal the incredible original NYC location, but those days have long past.

The selection is pretty good for a smallish store - and they did a smart thing by packing in a lot of merchandise so that it feels a bit like the old-style men's stores that used to have huge amounts of merchandise on their sales floors.

The other really nice thing were the two salesmen who were knowledgeable and helpful, but not at all "salesy" or pushy. They really know their stuff and guided me to the right size on a few items, while noting details like raglan sleeves without prompting. My guess, most BB salespeople don't even know what a raglan sleeve is.

I finally broke down (after years of pining) and bought a light-grey Shaggy Dog sweater ⇩ View attachment 38455
The sweater is awesome. It looks and feels better in person than in the pic here and those on-line. It's very heavy - it's a cold-day sweater for sure and just feels great. Also, I own a few (or 8 billion) sweaters and almost everyone is a medium, but I bought a small (as the guys suggested just from looking at me). To be direct - it fits exactly like most mediums from other brands - just an FYI if someone wants to order one on-line.

I'm pretty comfortable this is going to become a go-to sweater. Also, I plan to visit the Press store more. For those of you who visit NYC, it is really conveniently located, as it is, literally, right outside of Grand Central (a place most tourists visit).
I too was impressed by the amount of merchandise in such a small space. I was so enamored with all the tweed that I ran out of time to try on a Shaggy Dog. It’s in my list the next time I’m in NYC.

I’ve thought about buying a Shaggy Dog off eBay, but I can’t determine if the sweater is in good shape or not. :icon_scratch: :)

Danny

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
I agree it's a nice shop with a more appealing vibe than the last location. Shaggy Dogs are beautiful for sure...but you have to be ready for a very warm sweater.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I agree it's a nice shop with a more appealing vibe than the last location. Shaggy Dogs are beautiful for sure...but you have to be ready for a very warm sweater.
I agree, the last store (the one on Madison and 45 I think) was a big miss - it felt like a mall store of a generic retailer.

The original Press on 44th off of Madison was fantastic - old wood tables and cabinets, clothes piled high here, spilling over there, etc. - but as a new store, this one feels pretty darn good.

I also agree, the Shaggy Dog is, as I noted in my comments, a very heavy, cold-day sweater only, but man, on that type of day - it's heaven.

nb8790

United States
VA
Arlington

I finally broke down (after years of pining) and bought a light-grey Shaggy Dog sweater ⇩ View attachment 38455

The Washington DC store is very nice as well, I would recommend a visit for anyone in the area.