Geoff Gander

Hi all,

I've noticed a number of shoes sold by Jackson Shoes on EBay - their own brand, as well as Chapman and Moore and a handful of Grensons and Lewins. I notice that a number of the Jackson-branded shoes look an awful lot like Loakes - especially this one:

http://jacksonshoes.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=49

..which greatly resembles the Loake Norwich. Does anyone know if my supposition is right?

Geoff

PS - Any idea who makes Chapman and Moore? At their prices I can't think the shoes would be much good.

Graft

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I would say that you are correct. Loake makes a lot of the shoes from Herring Shoes' private label. The shoes look just like my pair of Norwich and the nail pattern in the heel is the same.

chrstc

Inactive user
UK
Essex
Leigh
Hello,
If you search the Jackson Shoes eBay store for teir own brand shoes you'll find a little more information. They are made by Sanders apparently.

http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/jacksonshoes_sanders_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZjacksonshoesQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ312775768QQsofpZ0

I'm very pleased with my Sanders boots- importantly for me they're actually made in England unlike Loake and, so far, they have done me proud. I can also recommend Jackson Shoes very highly. They're a brilliant source for Grenson Rose and Masterpiece shoes.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sweden
Värmland
Värmland
Hello all, handmade British shoes are a speciality of mine, and although I'm not allowed to advertise it here,(so I won't) I'll just say that I have a facebook group on the subject.

Anyway, Jacksons are not made by Loake, I had pair similar to Loake 747s, a few years ago and I currently have a pair of Loake 747s.

The quality of leather on Jackson's is nowhere near Loake's. If you look at the grainy leather on those Jackson's in that picture and then compare them to these Loake 747s you'll see there's a world of difference.

http://www.loake.co.uk/our_shoes/product_detail.asp?id=19&range=SHOEMAKER&sub=

And here's the Norwich for quality comparison - a very different quality of leather.

http://www.loake.co.uk/our_shoes/product_detail.asp?id=87&range=1880&sub=

Best regards

James de Buitléar

Geoff Gander

I was under the impression that their 1880 line (their top grade) was entirely UK-made; whereas, for their L1 grade (lowest tier) the uppers were made in India but the soles were attached and final finishings were done at their Kettering factory.

However, I seem to recall reading somewhere (wish I could remember where) that a Loake representative did actually state that all of their shoes were English-made. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to ask the company directly.

Geoff

chrstc

Inactive user
UK
Essex
Leigh
Well put Hector.

Of course Loake's are still made in England at their Kettering factory.
http://www.loake.co.uk/shoe_care/repair.asp

James de Buitléar
Hello,
It has been said here and in many other places that in fact all of he supposed "made in England" Loake lines are made in India and only welted here in the Kettering factory. If this information is wrong I apologise but many shoe experts on this forum believe it to be true. This is not at all unusual (unfortunately) with Barker being another company who have adopted the same tactics. Although their shoes are labelled as Barker England none of the current range is made entirely here in this country. The only English Barkers are their private label work.

Chris.

EDIT: I should also have said that I received an email from Loake some time ago saying that they now import several lines of shoes from Portugal, Spain, Italy and India so, regardless of who you believe in relation to the 1880 line, there are still plenty of imported Loakes.

Last edited:

Hector Freemantle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hello,
It has been said here and in many other places that in fact all of he supposed "made in England" Loake lines are made in India and only welted here in the Kettering factory. If this information is wrong I apologise but many shoe experts on this forum believe it to be true. This is not at all unusual (unfortunately) with Barker being another company who have adopted the same tactics. Although their shoes are labelled as Barker England none of the current range is made entirely here in this country. The only English Barkers are their private label work.

Chris.
Unless there is evidence that Loake ( or Barker for that matter) are not made in England then wouldn't it be wise to say that it has been 'suggested' that they are not made in England and cite the source of the suggestion?

The problem is that unfounded suggestions get picked up and repeated until they become 'facts'; as indeed do most urban legends. It's irrelevant whether or not 'shoe experts on this forum', or any other forum, believe anything be true; what surely matters is what is true in reality. At least that seems self-evident to me.

I'd certainly like to know what proof you have regarding where Loake and Barker are made. Is that something you can provide?

Last edited:

chrstc

Inactive user
UK
Essex
Leigh
Hello,
I am well aware of he problems involved with unsubstantiated rumours. I have made my position abundantly clear as regards Loake in the post that you have quoted so no further explanation is necessary there.

Regarding Barker please email the factory yourself or call and ask to speak to the managing director about this topic. I ordered a pair of Flynn shoes from them in January this year having naively assumed that they were still made in England. I then contacted them about this matter whilst my order was being processed and was informed of the facts as I stated them before. No Barker own-label shoes are now completely made in England. They are made in India and finished/welted in Earls Barton. Some private label Barkers and all the Barker Blacks are still made here, though. It depends entirely on what is requested by the labels concerned. There is therefore absolutely no conjecture involved as to the origin of Barker shoes.

Of course if we could only believe what was written on a country of origin label these days these rumours would not persist.

Chris.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts

Deals/Steals