Mike B

United States
New Jersey
Morristown
O'Connell's Classic Navy Blazer

After a few years of considering the off the rack blazer options out there in the market, I finally made a decision to buy the O'Connell's classic navy blazer. My go to everyday blazer has been a thrifted Brooks Brothers Brooksgate 3/2 patch pocket wool/poly blend blazer that fit me really well. It's probably from the 70's or 80's but had a bit of a dated look to it (and the material felt cheap to me as well).

I always thought I would end up with the Brooks Brother 3 button sack (793M) but it looks like that model is being discontinued. I was in western NY visiting relatives over the holidays, made a visit to O'Connell's, let Ethan know what I was looking for and he brought out the Southwick Blazer worsted wool blazer and their Classic Blazer. They both fit me well, I was actually surprised at how trim they fit for being 'sack' models. One clincher for me was that the O'Connell's blazer had more of a 'hard' 3/2 roll so that the top button hole is more visible. Another is the fact that, unless I get picky, the blazer is not going to require any alterations (including the sleeves). Here are some pics:

drpeter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
That's a beautiful-looking blazer, and it looks like a perfect fit, confirming what you say. Does the back have a hook vent?

ran23

United States
Oregon
Medford
I was shy on brown shoes. Checking ebay, I found a good looking pair of AE for $59. Seller offered $49. Close look it was Patriot Penny Loafer. $695.00 ?????? got them today, great shape. Hit them with Renovateur, now to get the proper polish for them.

Mike B

United States
New Jersey
Morristown
That's a beautiful-looking blazer, and it looks like a perfect fit, confirming what you say. Does the back have a hook vent?
The O'Connell's blazer does have a hook vent in the back. It's pretty much got all the features I want for an every day blazer except for patch pockets. That's hardly a deal breaker though since everything else about the blazer (shoulders, 3/2 roll, material, fit) is spot on.

The Southwick blazer that I tried on did have patch pockets but the '3 roll 2' button stance and not as great fix nixed that one for me. That was my first time trying on a Southwick Douglas model jacket...it came in a close second.

August West

United States
NJ
Northern
Very nice blazer Mike. I just received this from J Press on clearance, less than $300 all in.
https://jpressonline.com/collections/clearance-sale-nov/products/blue-olive-navy-houndstooth-classic-fit

The tag lists it at $895. I feel like I've stolen it for 70% off. The photos don't do it justice, it's not grey looking at all in real life. It's a very nice, subtle houndstooth. If you zoom in to the max it will give you a better idea.

A very natural shoulder. Press seems to have gotten things figured out again in that department thankfully.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Very nice blazer Mike. I just received this from J Press on clearance, less than $300 all in.
https://jpressonline.com/collections/clearance-sale-nov/products/blue-olive-navy-houndstooth-classic-fit

The tag lists it at $895. I feel like I've stolen it for 70% off. The photos don't do it justice, it's not grey looking at all in real life. It's a very nice, subtle houndstooth. If you zoom in to the max it will give you a better idea.

A very natural shoulder. Press seems to have gotten things figured out again in that department thankfully.
Boy, do I ever wish they had that jacket in my size. Aw well, perhaps the next J Press sale will work out for me! ;)

August West

United States
NJ
Northern
Boy, do I ever wish they had that jacket in my size. Aw well, perhaps the next J Press sale will work out for me! ;)
Based on available inventory, I'm guessing you are a 42R? If that's the case, keep an eye on this one if it's to your liking: https://jpressonline.com/collections/clearance-sale-nov/products/brown-olive-navy-houndstooth-classic-fit

It was previously listed at 70% off around Black Friday, but then went back up to 50% for some reason. It was my first choice, but I hesitated and my size sold out.

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
Ooh, good question.
Thank you. The hook vent is, for me, an indispensable part of the 3/2 roll style, although I could go either way with patch pockets. I suppose we all have our idiosyncrasies. It turns out the blazer does have a hook vent in the back , according to the OP.