eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Getting ready for the inevitable summer heat, I'm breathlessly awaiting the delivery from BB of this years supply of tropical weight Clarke's Advantage Chinos. Several of my older pair(s) are starting to fray at the cuffs. :crazy: Just can't have any of that! LOL.

drpeter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
I just realized I have crossed the century mark with my posts. I wonder if that is why I have now been promoted to Lieutenant from Second Lieutenant -- Active Member with Corporate Privileges. I wonder what those privileges are? I'll look for a sticky somewhere.

Traditional Tory

Starting Member
Canada
New Brunswick
Moncton
My only purchase this month has been the Hartt Beaverbrook Oxfords in black. A classic, elegant black cap-toe oxford with a rubber in-lay on the sole (indispensable for Canadian winters) and flat laces. I am wearing them today for the first time and, besides the predictable breaking-in pains, I am enjoying the way they work with my Ermenegildo Zegna 3-piece.

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills
It's February but I did take advantage of some after-Holiday pricing and make a couple noteworthy purchases last month:

Nearly all of my winter outerwear is navy or some shade of brown or olive drab and I wanted something a little more lively so I went with a Holubar "Deer Hunter" parka in bright red:

1581007673138.png

I love it. It's not quite as warm as my N-3B snorkel parka but it's so much more lightweight and comfortable.

The other purchase was a couple of pair of whipcord trousers from J. Press. Over the past few years, J. Press has become my go-to for RTW trousers as they're sizing is very consistent and I'm always pleased with the quality (and there are the occasional discounts available unlike O'Connell's). The fabric was from VBC and was nicer than I expected - almost as heavy as what you might find on a covert cloth coat.

Mr Thorvald

Starting Member
United States
New York
New York
I was shy on brown shoes. Checking ebay, I found a good looking pair of AE for $59. Seller offered $49. Close look it was Patriot Penny Loafer. $695.00 ?????? got them today, great shape. Hit them with Renovateur, now to get the proper polish for them.
I'm thinking of trying to buy an Alden All Weather Walker on ebay, but I'm a small size, so not easy to find. I'm a bit wary of buying shoes online, what if they don't fit? Can you return them?

ran23

United States
Oregon
Medford
As a 9.5E, I also have a hard time finding a good fit. Some simple 9.5M will fit, for a while. Up until lately, I had a friend's consignment store to flip things, never bothered to return items.

WatchmanJimG

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
FL
Orlando
O'Connell's Classic Navy Blazer

After a few years of considering the off the rack blazer options out there in the market, I finally made a decision to buy the O'Connell's classic navy blazer. My go to everyday blazer has been a thrifted Brooks Brothers Brooksgate 3/2 patch pocket wool/poly blend blazer that fit me really well. It's probably from the 70's or 80's but had a bit of a dated look to it (and the material felt cheap to me as well).

I always thought I would end up with the Brooks Brother 3 button sack (793M) but it looks like that model is being discontinued. I was in western NY visiting relatives over the holidays, made a visit to O'Connell's, let Ethan know what I was looking for and he brought out the Southwick Blazer worsted wool blazer and their Classic Blazer. They both fit me well, I was actually surprised at how trim they fit for being 'sack' models. One clincher for me was that the O'Connell's blazer had more of a 'hard' 3/2 roll so that the top button hole is more visible. Another is the fact that, unless I get picky, the blazer is not going to require any alterations (including the sleeves). Here are some pics:

Well done. I believe you mentioned in a previous thread that this one is made in USA, presumably by Hardwick? I would definitely have seen these during my last visit but either they didn't have my size or the Southwick won out by comparison (I wound up snagging the version with striped lining). I'd certainly consider this one in the future.

Cassadine

United States
Pennsylvania
Butler
I'm thinking of trying to buy an Alden All Weather Walker on ebay, but I'm a small size, so not easy to find. I'm a bit wary of buying shoes online, what if they don't fit? Can you return them?
Depends on the seller. Ebay makes it easy to discover.

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills
I have the AWW and many other pair of Aldens but I've always found my AWW to fit a little more snugly than other shoes on the Barrie last. If you are in NYC as your profile says, it might be worthwhile to go into Moulded Shoe and be properly fitted. Even if you aren't purchasing from them, they are a very customer-oriented store.

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
Getting ready for the inevitable summer heat, I'm breathlessly awaiting the delivery from BB of this years supply of tropical weight Clarke's Advantage Chinos. Several of my older pair(s) are starting to fray at the cuffs. :crazy: Just can't have any of that! LOL.
Embrace the fray Eagle! It goes along with the frayed collar of your favorite ocbd. Here is a humorous look at the tradition of the frayed shirt collar:

The Old Money Look: Princeton Boys And The Sandpapered Shirt Collar