Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Is it jazz? – Professor Longhair -

Blues, R&B and jazz all grew out of the same Delta cauldron of Afro-American music. So if it isn’t jazz in your book, it’s unquestionably its first cousin. Blues/R&B/Jazz legend pianist/vocalist Professor Longhair (AKA Henry “Roy” Byrd) had an up and down career and life. Growing up musically in New Orleans he learned early on that the piano is also a percussion instrument, beating out a rhythm on the piano with his foot while playing.

In the early era of Rock Professor Longhair gained a measure of success by recording, but never made it big as his music was deemed too “black” and raw to gain wider popularity, and he soon faded from sight. One report I read had him working as a custodian in a public school when his music began to be rediscovered in the early ‘70’s.

When Sir Paul McCartney was having his release party for Wings’ Venus and Mars on March 24, 1975 aboard the Queen Mary berthed in California it was Professor Longhair who was selected as the musical entertainment for the evening. I had also heard it was Sir Paul's birthday. Arguably, one of his finest performances ever, it helped him re-launch his musical career. His performance was released as an album, Professor Longhair, Live Aboard the Queen Mary.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Miles and Chet - Miles Davis and Chet Baker -

Two trumpet headliners of the era, some disparage the recording as a purely commercial pairing, but I like the music, and think it's a lot more.

ran23

United States
Oregon
Medford
I am probably more of a Miles Davis guy, but that was nice.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Miles and Chet - Miles Davis and Chet Baker -

Two trumpet headliners of the era, some disparage the recording as a purely commercial pairing, but I like the music, and think it's a lot more.

That was a rather nice collection of fine music, showcasing the commendable talent of two of the Greats! Thanks for sharing that one. ;)

ChrisRS

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Let’s remember Dr. John. He was a study of Professor Longhair, mentioned above by member Flanderian and a New Orleans staple, much like my posts concerning all brass bands and Trombone Shorty. Not jazz, but it’s brother, the blues, and something just a bit more... weird and wonderful.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Let’s remember Dr. John. He was a study of Professor Longhair, mentioned above by member Flanderian and a New Orleans staple, much like my posts concerning all brass bands and Trombone Shorty. Not jazz, but it’s brother, the blues, and something just a bit more... weird and wonderful.
R.I.P. Dr. John! :(

A marvelous talent!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
A Syncopated Swinger - Eliane Elias -

Brazilian pianist Eliane Elisas (First name pronounced El-eee-ahni, with accent on first syllable.) plays jazz in a swinging syncopated style usually interwoven amongst a Samba beat. Recently (Anything that's happened in the last 20 years! ;)) she's added her voice to her piano. And while obviously not her primary instrument, call it pop, or call it jazz, she's made some beautifully produced and arranged recordings.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Bonus Encore – Eliane Elias – Dreamer album

Vocally, largely a pop excursion, it also contains Ms. Elias’ swinging piano. A simply lovely album!

Winhes2

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
MB
winnipeg
Flanderian, you have provided us with many varied and interesting examples, but you prefer the slow stuff. So, I'll offer something you have probably enjoyed before but I consider beautiful: the Miles Davis Quintet's version of, "It never entered my mind" in which Red Garland's simple piano introduction is, to my ears, particularly lovely. The Killer and Little Richard have their place, but this is for a different state of mind. If you like this form of jazz, breath, relax, and, as Jerry Scoggins sang, set a spell, take your shoes off.