Gurdon

United States
California
Forestville
In the mid-1950's I was fortunate to be introduced to jazz at an early age when one of my aunts turned me loose with her son's 10" LP jazz collection. I have enjoyed this category of "serious" music ever since.

I did not see mention of the clarinet player Sidney Bechet as I scrolled through the thread just now. I think his music would appeal to many who have posted.

My own jazz preferences range from West Coast cool, to Bee Bop, and Ornett Coleman's largely unstructured playing.

My freshman year in college, I first heard a collaboration between Ravi Shankar and Bud Shank on the theme music to the film "Pathar Panchli" in 1963, played on the stereo in the Steppenwolf bar in Berkeley. It was a revelation to me as it combined jazz and Indian music. I subsequently learned that Shankar's playing influenced other American Jazz musicians. The album is still available as a CD, "Improvisations," originally issued on the World Pacific Label.

"Slippery When Wet," another late 1950's World Pacific LP, still available on CD. "[It] is a soundtrack album to Bruce Brown's 1959 surf film of the same name by saxophonist Bud Shank released on the World Pacific label.Wikipedia
Label:World Pacific, WP 1265
Producer:Richard Bock
Released:1959."

I was still surfing at the time, but the highlight of the film for me was the sound track, performed by a group with which I was familiar. Part of the initial appeal was that the music was all original, based on various scenes in the movie. Unlike much of the jazz repertoire, or that of any musical genre, "Slippery When Wet" consists entirely of numbers that are not tied to preexisting melodies or songs.

I believe many of the individuals who have posted on this thread would enjoy listening to this album.

That same year I had the good fortune to hear Lightning Hopkins playing in a club in Berkeley, a concert by Segovia on campus, and a performance at UCLA's Royce Hall of "The Play of Daniel," an early music miracle play.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing.
Gurdon

Last edited:

RyeGuy

United States
PA
Pittsburgh
A Syncopated Swinger - Eliane Elias -

Brazilian pianist Eliane Elisas (First name pronounced El-eee-ahni, with accent on first syllable.) plays jazz in a swinging syncopated style usually interwoven amongst a Samba beat. Recently (Anything that's happened in the last 20 years! ;)) she's added her voice to her piano. And while obviously not her primary instrument, call it pop, or call it jazz, she's made some beautifully produced and arranged recordings.

I first heard Elias with Steps Ahead, whose self-titled debut album was the soundtrack of my weeks of illness with mono during high school. I ordered it blind (deaf?) from a local record shop after reading a brief review of it in Jazziz. The album has been a favorite since the first listen.

I later sought out more of her albums, hoping to hear something similar to her playing on the Steps Ahead album, and I was always disappointed she never continued in that vein. I am happy that she was able to achieve commercial success instead of being condemned to a life of poverty, but selfish me wants more of her non-Brazilian work...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts