Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
^^
Avis, Charlston, Jersey Shoe, Lock Haven, State College and Woolrich: all Pennsylvania locations featuring...great fishing, hunting, football wrestling, working as a furrier's apprentice, on the loading dock and as a cutters assistant at Woolrich Woolen Mills, and as a summer hire with the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation...good times, great memories, but I cannot recall ever listening to Jazz during those years. That came later, much later, in life for me! :(
Familiar with them all! I graduated fromPenn State in 1974, and stayed on in State College for several years! Great bars and even better fishing!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
football wrestling,
Hmm . . . ? :icon_scratch:

;)

Domtar paper company, in passed decade, has invested over half a billion in rebuilding the mill. Still, the town has been known for very rough characters. In the prohibition era, north to Bradford was known as " Little Chicago" because of being the halfway point between NYC and Chicago.
Interesting, didn't know that. Though my gal did sock me once when I was teasing her. She had a surprising right hand! Rattled my molars! :icon_saint7kg:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Familiar with them all! I graduated fromPenn State in 1974, and stayed on in State College for several years! Great bars and even better fishing!
"Fight on State!" A fellow Penn Stater, I graduated from Penn State in 1972. It appears we may have trod some of the same ground as we pursued our respective educations. Alas, the University Park campus has really changed!

Big T

United States
PA
DuBois
"Fight on State!" A fellow Penn Stater, I graduated from Penn State in 1972. It appears we may have trod some of the same ground as we pursued our respective educations. Alas, the University Park campus has really changed!
I was there from 1970 until 74! College of Human Development, majored in Community Development, stayed for partial work on a masters in Public Administration, until I got fed up with the BS! But it was the 70's!

My fishing was at Whipple State Park and Spring Creek, my bar was The Rathskellar, and I lived at Blue Bell and Southgate apartment complexes. I was dirt poor, could hardly afford my four packs of Tiger Head Ale!

My entire family are PSU grads, my wife, our older two daughters, both son in laws and now our youngest daughter in engineering (she will take over my manufacturing plant).

The campus and town have changed drastically, but it still good, old Penn State! I do have to add, our oldest daughter, a registered architect, got her masters at Pitt(an insult to us PSU grads), in international finance.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Violin Jazz – Stephane Grappelli -

Last edited by a moderator:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^ Sorry, my friend. I thought I was posting a comment about your post, but it came out as an edit to your post. My comment was that I had never considered a violin as a potential player in a jazz concert, but the example you posted has changed that perspective.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Just a John Jazz – Johnny Smith Guitar -

Highly regarded by other musicians, but less well known than some other popular jazz guitarists. Simply marvelous acoustic jazz guitar.

ChrisRS

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I like the “gravitate towards” aspect of this conversation. I can listen to a live trio set and appreciate the apparent lack of structure all come together, but I always go back to that tower of power aspect of jazz. Glenn Miller big band, Chicago. Baritone and bass sax, trombone. Not just the solo display but the ability to bring cacophony to order.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Jazz Daddy – Ellis Marsalis Jr. -

Jazz pianist and educator. Father of jazz musicians Wynton, Branford, Delfeayo, and Jason. Mentor of Terry Blanchard, Harry Connick Jr., Donald Harrison, etc. And an absolutely delightful jazz pianist.

Done enough Ellis!? :D