bobbyball

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I’ve been meaning to share this find with the forum for some time.

Some of you will already know, but there is a great little shoe shop in Wimpole Street (just behind John Lewis in Oxford Street.

I have been going into John Rushton since he had a shop in Soho (Soho Shoes) and he really does know his stuff.

The shop has a wide range of Alfred Sargent as well as Cheaney but I go in there to see his selection of one-off shoes that he picks up regularly from personal visits to the Northampton factories. Some of these are seconds/irregulars or are available in one or two sizes only, but they are regularly on sale for between £50 – £80. Sometimes he buys up a cancelled export order and so it’s possible to find something a little bit unusual.

Over the years I have picked up many wonderful shoes from there – some dark green loafers made for Bowen in France, Peal & Co (Sargents) for Brooks Brothers, and some old Alan McAfee (sadly defunct for some time now).

John Rushton is a wonderful character and I’ve spent many a pleasant morning/afternoon discussing shoes. He will also order practically anything you like (within reason). he has the demeanour of a very pleasant ex-army major and always dresses with a confident casual but distinguished appearance.

I remember a wonderful old gent who used to always be in there when I visited. A tiny little chap with incredibly small feet. He would wear Cleverleys that he had made by the man himself and they looked amazing in a way that only forty year old shoes can.

Jonathan Meades is a frequent visitor and has written about John in the past.

Mr Rushton has some lovely observations about the French and Italian style and is well travelled. Please pay him a visit and you’ll get some great value, some wonderful stories and well made, great value shoes for certain.

Odradek

Advanced Member
UK
Oxfordshire
Henley on Thames
I know that reviving an eight and a half year old thread is frowned upon, but I was in this wonderful shop today for the first time. An all too brief visit, but I'll be back.
http://www.johnrushtonshoes.com
A real shoe shop without the hard sell and plenty of time for the customer.
And, the man with his name on the window is sitting behind the counter.

I went there as it's one of the few places to actually see Sanders shoes in the flesh. Sadly the shoe I wanted to see wasn't in stock, but I'm still glad I went up there.
A shop to keep in mind if anyone is visiting London.

[video=vimeo;24528950]http://vimeo.com/24528950[/video]

Langham

Honors Member
England
Kent
Tenterden
I second the appreciative words that have been said here and elsewhere about Mr Rushton and his shoe shop in Wimpole Street. I visited it yesterday for the first time, while spending a few days in town. He is a very nice chap with a good selection of shoes by Crockett & Jones, Cheney, Spencer, and a few of his own design. Off hand, I can think of no other shoe shop of quite the same quality - those in Jermyn Street and Bond Street all seeming to be one-make only places.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
Oh, I also visited Mr. Rushton's shop, it was last May. I hadn't known it is right across the street from the Royal Medical Society where we were having dinner, but I had been planning a visit anyway, so that was just lucky for me.

:D

Now where are those photos ? ? ?

IMG_20150522_122435.jpg

Langham

Honors Member
England
Kent
Tenterden
^ Wimpole Street, while not far at all from Oxford Street, is a slightly unexpected place to find a shoe shop - with Harley Street nearby, every other door in the street seems to bear a doctor's or dentist's name plate.

I was quite surprised, and rather impressed, to learn that Mr Rushton had an earlier career as a film editor, working with Joe Losey as long ago as the early 60s.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
^ Wimpole Street, while not far at all from Oxford Street, is a slightly unexpected place to find a shoe shop - with Harley Street nearby, every other door in the street seems to bear a doctor's or dentist's name plate.

I was quite surprised, and rather impressed, to learn that Mr Rushton had an earlier career as a film editor, working with Joe Losey as long ago as the early 60s.
I also found that interesting.

About the location, I thought the Medical Society might be a good source of customers, but Mr. Rushton didn't seem to confirm that.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts

Deals/Steals