TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
As most of you may know, MW purchased the Joseph Abboud brand in 2013, as well as hiring the man himself. Included in that purchase is the New Bedford, MA factory that produces suits, sportcoats, pants, and suit separates for JA, both RTW and their "custom" program. I just returned from management meetings in California, where a good portion of our time was spent learning about the new product and trying it on, as well as learning the "custom" process and what we can do with it. The program is live in a few markets - Boston, NYC, San Francisco - and RTW is available in a few more, but it will be rolled out to all of the core stores in the next 3-6 months.

There's a lot of info, and I'll post most of it eventually if there's any interest, but for the interim, I decided to go for a Reddit style Q&A. Ask me anything, and if I have or can find the info, I'll explain it as well as I can.

TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
Is there a part of the website that speaks about this program?
Not yet. The television commercials, marketing, and info is being rolled out by TV market as the product arrives in that market. The factory can produce about 1100 suits a week, so stocking ~800 stores with full size runs of the nested suits, suit separates, and custom swatches will take some time. I suspect the website won't go into any detail until the majority of markets have the product.

TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
This is interesting. What will the prices be like on the RTW? What about charges for MTM?
RTW suits and suit separates (jacket and pants) will be ticketed at $495. Sportcoats will be ticketed at $295 (though the sportcoats for this season only are made in Mexico, while the factory stocks suits up - in theory, sportcoats will also be made in the USA ASAP). They will be an "Exceptional Value" product (which used to be called "Everyday Low Price"), which means they are NOT eligible for the BOGO Free or BOGO $100. There will likely be a BB-esque multiples deal; I heard 2 for $900 being discussed frequently. Vests will be $150, as currently projected. (MW is attempting to wean off of the promotional retailer teat; I think the premise of buying Jos A Banks is to make sure we're not getting creamed by Buy One Get Three).

MTM will have price points of $595 and $695, depending on the fabric. All of the fabrics are Italian make, and all the swatches are identified by Super number (110-150) and mill of fabric. I saw Zegna, Zignone, Vitale Barberis, and a few others in my browse through. That price will include the jacket, pants, lining of choice, modifications and any postproduction alterations at a Men's Wearhouse store for the life of the garment. Vests, additional pants, customizations like surgeon's sleeves and shirt grippers will be upcharges. I don't recall the starting price points for sportcoats and slacks. Delivery is promised within 21 days, with rush fees available to expedite that to 12 days.

TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
Will the suits be half of fully canvassed?
The suits are half-canvassed, or to be slightly more specific, they will have a free floating canvas chest piece. They have a display model (which I hope stores will get as well) dissected to show the canvassing and sleeve construction. The canvassing is the standard cotton/wool/horsehair blend. This is true of both the custom and new RTW products, unlike the old diffusion label Joseph Abboud suits (which are all on clearance now to make room for the new stuff).

MaxBuck

Advanced Member
United States
Ohio
Dublin
Given the construction and fabrics you've described, TheBarbaron, this seems like solid value at the price points you noted.

TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
That's the theory, MaxBuck. The idea is to convert customers who would have normally purchased something like a diffusion Calvin Klein at ~$700 for two, and sell them on the value, construction, quality. I was pleasantly surprised by the RTW models I tried on, and the swatch book, while not comprehensive, was varied. I think this will compete solidly with Brooks Brothers mid-range (shy of Golden Fleece, etc), and it could be a nice option with a variety of colors, fits, and styles for those who might have spent a lot of time searching for bargains on top end suits or who have difficulties with a standard fit. I'm tentatively planning on replacing about 1/3 of my wardrobe in the next year or so, if they're as good as I think they will be.

StephenRG

Honors Member
United States
New York
Merrick
This might be the thing that gets me into MW for the first time. If they get the quality control right, and have a reasonable selection of patterns, this makes MW a very serious alternative to existing choices.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts

Deals/Steals