Kavanaugh?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
If this whole fiasco has done anything it’s to remind me of my own high school days.

Brett Kavanaugh and I are roughly the same age and graduated high school around the same time, though certainly removed by geography and other factors.

I remember the house parities and the beer drinking. I remember raiding our friends dad’s liquor cabinet. I remember the silly and stupid nicknames and other dumb things we would say to one other; changing song lyrics to mean something else or something dirty. Talking about girls and how they’ve developed and what we would do with them though we hadn’t a clue as to what we would really do if given the opportunity.

Acting and talking like grown ups yet not having any understanding of what that meant. Looking back, I yearn for those carefree days and the lack of any real responsibility.

God forbid all of that were dredged up and out on display for the nation to see. I can only imagine sitting in front of a senate committee with Sheldon Whitehouse having a big, blown up diagram of a glass of beer and a quarter and asking me to explain the illustrated schematic and how exactly we played quarters. Perhaps how we played “drink, drank, drunk” and if there was a more sinister meaning to that game.

derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
If this whole fiasco has done anything it’s to remind me of my own high school days.

Brett Kavanaugh and I are roughly the same age and graduated high school around the same time, though certainly removed by geography and other factors.

I remember the house parities and the beer drinking. I remember raiding our friends dad’s liquor cabinet. I remember the silly and stupid nicknames and other dumb things we would say to one other; changing song lyrics to mean something else or something dirty. Talking about girls and how they’ve developed and what we would do with them though we hadn’t a clue as to what we would really do if given the opportunity.

Acting and talking like grown ups yet not having any understanding of what that meant. Looking back, I yearn for those carefree days and the lack of any real responsibility.

God forbid all of that were dredged up and out on display for the nation to see. I can only imagine sitting in front of a senate committee with Sheldon Whitehouse having a big, blown up diagram of a glass of beer and a quarter and asking me to explain the illustrated schematic and how exactly we played quarters. Perhaps how we played “drink, drank, drunk” and if there was a more sinister meaning to that game.
Those were the days (Mary Hopkin) when listened to now, is much more poignant.

derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
Hopefully nearing the end of this divisive event. Let's hope that all sides can accept the outcome and move on.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Hopefully nearing the end of this divisive event. Let's hope that all sides can accept the outcome and move on.
I can sense the sincerity of your statement so I will join with you in hoping for the same.

Unfortunately, many on one side of this haven't even accepted, let alone move on from, the events of two years ago.

The mob will never be placated. One cannot reason with a child. The mob is little more than a child. You either give it a cookie or it doesn't shut up. At some point it might get tired but eventually it will want another cookie.

127.72 MHz

Advanced Member
United States
Oregon
Portland
^^ Point taken, the left will never get over this,...
(Jeeze, it feels odd saying that knowing I'm a registered Democrat with slightly left of center leanings,...I didn't leave the Democratic party, they left me.) The middle to the left wing of the Democratic party is completely round the bend in my opinion.

Susan Collins made a poignant speech on the floor of the Senate. I listened to the entire 20+ minutes of it. Well spoken.

While acknowledging that Professor Christine Blasey Ford may have come forward with the best of intentions she was also betrayed and victimized by someone in Senator Dianne Feinsten's office leaking her confidential correspondence. Sadly, according to what Susan Collins said in her speech, there was no corroboration to Professor Ford's accusations.

Bottom line, there has to be some presumption of innocence.

For those who are interested in the entire transcript: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/us/politics/susan-collins-speech-brett-kavanaugh.html

Last edited:

Cowtown

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
Regardless of the outcome, life will surely go on! :(
It will go on but I fear the Kavanaugh confirmation proceedings will serve as a accelerant to eventual disintegration of the United States. We are no longer one nation but a collection of various racial, ethnic, religious, and ideological groups which have overlaps but not much holding them together.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
It will go on but I fear the Kavanaugh confirmation proceedings will serve as a accelerant to eventual disintegration of the United States. We are no longer one nation but a collection of various racial, ethnic, religious, and ideological groups which have overlaps but not much holding them together.
We’ve been through a civil war where we actually shot at one another and a period of time when we were lynching our fellow citizens. We will get through it.

We are a country of >300 million. There is a very small, yet vocal faction. The media don’t go to Kansas and interview the man or woman getting in his or her car at 5am to head to work. Their cameras love the hipster millennial who is yelling and screaming and repeating well rehearsed chants. This is not a representation of reality.