AncientMadder

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Last edited:

sbdivemaster

United States
Shangri-La
That's it? T-shirts and sweats? A $30 t-shirt?!?

The Wife said it best, "Pathetic."

L-feld

Advanced Member
United States
Maryland
Baltimore
Umm, yeah, I'm going to stick with King Louie for all my sweatshirt needs.

frosejr

United States
Maryland
Gaithersburg
I guess this is exhibit A of the problem that vendors have doing Made-In-USA. We say we want the stuff, but when it's offered, we complain about the prices.

Full disclosure: I fit in this category too, I'm not just calling out others. I too want Made-In-USA, but I won't be buying anything from the new LE book - too expensive.

TommyDawg

United States
MA
pepperell
When I saw the cover of the catalog I was interested to see them tout the Made in USA items. I thought it was going to be a whole line of clothes. Disappointed it was only sweats and T's. Some would think thats all that can be made in America. It was a nice swing, but swing and a miss, in my opinion. Plenty of good shirts and pants manufacturers they could have tapped...
Tom

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
I don't get all the complaints here, people. The prices are not in the stratosphere for Made in USA stuff. Companies like Kellsport only charge a few dollars less per item and they don't have the marketing and overhead expenses to cover, nor do they ever have 40% off sales. Besides, LE isn't competing against King Louie or any other promotional sportswear company. Sixty dollars won't even get you an imported crewneck sweatshirt at J.Crew.

Aside from that, I think that LE has some great stuff in this season's lineup. Did anyone notice that the bumblebee emblematic tie is Made in USA? Or that all the silk knit ties are now woven in Italy and handsewn in the USA? How about 100% cotton (most other offerings in that price range are a blend) poplin, pincord and seersucker separates with 3-patch pocket jackets? Long sleeve madras shirts? Fox River Mill socks? Pendleton blankets?

It seems like LE can't catch a break on this forum. Everyone complains about poor/spotty quality as a result of all the different offshore suppliers, and when they make a move to introduce domestically produced items everyone complains about the price.

ArtVandalay

United States
Ohio
Cincinnati
It's not so much the prices I have an issue with. It's that the folks who wear sweats on a day to day basis aren't likely going to be part of the same subset that values "Made in USA" goods.
A puzzling endeavor for Lands End.

I don't get all the complaints here, people. The prices are not in the stratosphere for Made in USA stuff. Companies like Kellsport only charge a few dollars less per item and they don't have the marketing and overhead expenses to cover, nor do they ever have 40% off sales. Besides, LE isn't competing against King Louie or any other promotional sportswear company. Sixty dollars won't even get you an imported crewneck sweatshirt at J.Crew.

Aside from that, I think that LE has some great stuff in this season's lineup. Did anyone notice that the bumblebee emblematic tie is Made in USA? Or that all the silk knit ties are now woven in Italy and handsewn in the USA? How about 100% cotton (most other offerings in that price range are a blend) poplin, pincord and seersucker separates with 3-patch pocket jackets? Long sleeve madras shirts? Fox River Mill socks? Pendleton blankets?

It seems like LE can't catch a break on this forum. Everyone complains about poor/spotty quality as a result of all the different offshore suppliers, and when they make a move to introduce domestically produced items everyone complains about the price.

jwooten

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
TX
Austin
It's not so much the prices I have an issue with. It's that the folks who wear sweats on a day to day basis aren't likely going to be part of the same subset that values "Made in USA" goods.
I disagree on this point. As a large majority of the "hipster" microcosm will go gaga over this type of thing, except that these people don't normally shop at Lands End. Given the normal group of Lands End customers, I find it hard to believe that consumer group will pay $60 for a plain sweatshirt when Lands End sells a very similar sweat for $40. Also, I don't know many people who use sweatshirts for "Activewear" anymore.

If they are going to go to the effort of going Made in USA, why not make a cotton sweater?

(Aside: I don't mean to imply that hipsters wear lots of sweats or sweat suits, but I see more younger people in sweatshirts and skinny jeans, prescribing to the hipster trend, than people in full sweatsuits these days)

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
That certainly makes sense, but I refer back to my J. Crew example. Obviously, somebody is buying these in enough quantities at $62.50 to make them a profit. And I've seen previous examples from J. Crew where similar sweatshirts with "limited edition" bleach stains and worn spots sell for much more. I mean, shoot, look at this sweatshirt. Ninety-eight dollars for an imported cotton sweatshirt and they sold out of them. I don't think that "day-to-day" sweats wearers are buying these things, but whoever is (and apparently there's a lot of them) now has a made in USA option for less money than the imported version.

That being said, these Durable Goods sweatshirts seem like more of a LE Canvas offering than mainline LE.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts