r1ccard0

United States
Minnesota
St Paul
Does anyone have any recommendations for leather bags that are not too big to carry onto planes et al.
I'd like the bag to be sufficient to carry a slin laptop, book and some minor things, but nothing too fancy like a LV handbag! I'm not looking for a suitcase/briefcase....

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
There are tons of options. Do you have any specific requirements other than the 2 you mentioned? Price range?

r1ccard0

United States
Minnesota
St Paul

Thanks for the input - I'm looking for a simple modern bag without having to buy something as pretentious as a LV bag. Since I travel a lot with a laptop, and a few books I like to ensure I have sufficient compartments to store them without having to rummage through the bag to find books, magazines and laptop.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
For pure functionality and durability, consider Tumi.

They are not the most aesthetically pleasing but man, do they hold up and perform!

I believe they have some leather options as well as the classic ballistic nylon.

Again, it depends on your budget but if you're using Louis Vuitton as a foil, then I think you're ok.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^The Tumi leather satchel that I've carried for the past 18+ years continues to serve me well. Frankly, the patina developed through so many years of hard use have made it look better than it did the day I first took delivery of same. Quality shows...throughout the lifespan of our purchases, whatever they may be! :thumbs-up:

Concordia

Advanced Member
United States
Massachusetts
Newton
Thanks for the input - I'm looking for a simple modern bag without having to buy something as pretentious as a LV bag. Since I travel a lot with a laptop, and a few books I like to ensure I have sufficient compartments to store them without having to rummage through the bag to find books, magazines and laptop.
Other options might be a Day Bag from Glaser Designs or a multi-layer thing from Clegg or Lotuff. More expensive and they do look like briefcases, so maybe not your thing.

If you don't need modern and sleek, Saddleback has various satchels and messenger bags that don't hurt for durability.

CardsHockey

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Ann Arbor
I think the JW Hulme document briefcase BB sells fits your criteria as I bought this one looking to carry exactly what you describe. I recommend BB's version and not the one direct from JW Hulme because JW Hulme changed the interior design for the worse, in my opinion. I ordered both and returned the JW Hulme one.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/J.W.-Hulme-Leather-Document-Briefcase/UL00090,default,pd.html?dwvar_UL00090_Color=BRWN&contentpos=2&cgid=

Haffman

UK
Oxon
Oxford
Tumi leather bags excellent - not very pretty but perfect for regular travelling and the leather is nice. I have to travel regularly and have found mine indispensable, well made and reliable. I use the Tumi leather cleaner to keep it in shape

I also like the leather bags from the Italian company The Bridge, and also Dunhill

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts