some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
OR
Portland
I have a Tumi briefcase, and it is certainly a workhorse. Not incredibly stylish, but it gets the job done.

I have a very nice leather bag from Floto Imports which might be a bit bigger than you are looking for, but works very well as a carry on for clothes and easily fits in almost any airline overhead bin.

I've also had good luck with bags from T. Anthony-- my wife has a few very nice ones from them.

DRWWE

United States
CA
Redding
Look at the Tusting Clipper. Great leather, not too big, very durable. I have used mine daily as a briefcase for many years but it would work perfectly as a carry-on for travel (they have larger bags too). I believe Levenger sells them in the US. It holds a larger laptop with no problems, in fact I believe I'm on my fourth laptop since I purchased my Clipper.

I also agree about Tumi. Those have been my travel bags for the past two decades. I just retired one of their messenger bags as my carry-on in favor of one of their newest Alpha carry-ons (I got a gift card). I prefer their ballistic fabric but their leather is quite nice. Tumis products are just so well thought out for travel that everything else I have looked at pales in comparison. Durable, lots of little pockets.

Last edited:

r1ccard0

United States
Minnesota
St Paul
Thanks for the recommendations. I've taken a look at them, but nothing so far meets my criteria. I am looking for something that works well with a laptop/touchscreen pad, and the bags so ar don't have any protective padding in them... it's a long shot that some of these may have that. I'm also looking for something thing that is pleasing to one's eyes... I do like the JW Hulme bag though, .....

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^r1ccardo:

Custom Hides produces a variety of designs that incorporate a padded laptop sleeve into their briefcases. Just go to the website and click on the header topic, Laptop Briefcases. www.customhide.com.

CardsHockey

United States
Michigan
Ann Arbor
Thanks for the recommendations. I've taken a look at them, but nothing so far meets my criteria. I am looking for something that works well with a laptop/touchscreen pad, and the bags so ar don't have any protective padding in them... it's a long shot that some of these may have that. I'm also looking for something thing that is pleasing to one's eyes... I do like the JW Hulme bag though, .....
Since I recommended the JW Hulme bag, there is a spot for a laptop/tablet in the BB version but it is not padded. Just want to make sure you know that. Again, I highly recommend the BB version over the one direct from JW Hulme due to the BB version having better miscellaneous storage options (the JW Hulme one has nearly zero places to store business cards, calculator, etc) and the JW Hulme version does not have the laptop compartment in the back!

I have no clue why JW Hulme went from a great, practical design to something so dumb. I do give JW Hulme credit in taking my return even though I had the bag monogrammed! But, it was 100% JW Hulme's fault as the online description and pictures were wrong, and I even called the store in Minnesota and they were looking at an old bag when they described it to me.

In addition, Hulme increased its price on this bag $100 to $1,100 while BB is still at $1,000 and you should be able to get it for 25% off during a sale.

DenverESullivan

United States
Indiana
Osgood
This is what I use... It's the Jack Spade Waxwear Computer Field Bag. It's got a padded compartment for my laptop, room for files, my iPad, etc. Extremely well build and doesn't look like it's from the IBM spring & summer collection.

I've had mine for probably six years and it still looks great and has held up extremely well.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
The thing about a waxed cotton bag is that the crap with smear all over your clothes. Just something to be aware of.

DenverESullivan

United States
Indiana
Osgood
The thing about a waxed cotton bag is that the crap with smear all over your clothes. Just something to be aware of.
This is true if you go too heavy on the conditioning/protectant stuff or if it was over-coated at the factory. On mine, I buffed it down when I got it thoroughly with a microfiber towel and it picks off the excess. I also do this after I reapply the conditioner/protectant wax. It pretty much eliminates the problem.

The key is to not go nuts and put on too much which isn't easy. But buffing off the excess works well.

DenverESullivan

United States
Indiana
Osgood
Jack Spade also makes their Computer Field Bag in black nylon. However, for me at least it just looks too much like part of the 'IBM Collection'. I love the dark brown waxed cotton look much better. But it is also an option. Same padding, pockets, etc. - just a different fabric and color.

DenverESullivan

United States
Indiana
Osgood
The KNOMO London Bungo Laptop Messenger is very close to the same style as the Jack Spade only it's all leather. But I have to admit I absolutely love my Jack Spade and have had zero issues.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts