Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
My John Nordstrom chinos were a little snug (doesn't make sense as lost weight since 2013 some as old as 2007 when was 180 pounds and still usable) before putting in a quick permeant press wash on warm (water heater set to 100*F/38*C) to get off the dust. Come out of the wash and now even more snug, some as much as 2 inches.:confused::(

Went through about two dozen and only four I can let out. Odd enough that is all three shades of olives, plus a navy.

For future cotton pants, even if says wash warm, should be cold wash?

Thank y'll for the help. :)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
The wife launders my chinos in cold water and drys them on low and sometimes, when she is pressed for time, on medium heat. Shrinkage has not been much of a problem. :)

EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
My John Nordstrom chinos were a little snug (doesn't make sense as lost weight since 2013 some as old as 2007 when was 180 pounds and still usable) before putting in a quick permeant press wash on warm (water heater set to 100*F/38*C) to get off the dust. Come out of the wash and now even more snug, some as much as 2 inches.:confused::(

Went through about two dozen and only four I can let out. Odd enough that is all three shades of olives, plus a navy.

For future cotton pants, even if says wash warm, should be cold wash?

Thank y'll for the help. :)
Unless I'm in-between sizes and bought a size up in a cotton garment on purpose, cottons are NEVER washed in warm/hot in my household; label instructions notwithstanding.

In the rare instance I am trying to shrink something, the approach is very cautious--usually allowing the wash to fill on "warm" setting only halfway and then stopping to switch to "cold". (I would rather it not shrink at all than too much).

Similar caution applies to drying temperatures--and even then, only long enough to get a garment from "wet" to "thoroughly damp" so it may be either ironed or hung to dry.

Regards,

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Twenty-four pairs of chinos?! Wow, I thought I had a lot of clothes....
Sometimes feeding the trolls is fun. :p

I forgot you need exactness, so counted. I had 16. I used to have 52 shirts and nine casual coats, again their numbers knocked down due to growth spurt and weight loss. I live in a three bedroom house and all four closets had my clothes in them, some ways looking forward to getting down to just two. My Grandmother said I was a Ken doll she toughly enjoyed dressing (as was trim unlike my "f*t" Brother never mind her husband had grown heavy) and since meant nice clothes, I too enjoyed the journey. Too bad she believed one only needed a one sport coat and no suit, at least the one I do have still fits.

The wife launders my chinos in cold water and drys them on low and sometimes, when she is pressed for time, on medium heat. Shrinkage has not been much of a problem. :)
Okay, noted and appreciated.

I haven't used the drier for them in ages, find hanging by their leg bottoms to help get most if not all the wrinkles out. After a time, seems the set at the factory creases fade and then need them set in after each wash.

Unless I'm in-between sizes and bought a size up in a cotton garment on purpose, cottons are NEVER washed in warm/hot in my household; label instructions notwithstanding.

In the rare instance I am trying to shrink something, the approach is very cautious--usually allowing the wash to fill on "warm" setting only halfway and then stopping to switch to "cold". (I would rather it not shrink at all than too much).

Similar caution applies to drying temperatures--and even then, only long enough to get a garment from "wet" to "thoroughly damp" so it may be either ironed or hung to dry.

Regards,
Good to know and appreciated.

Now that can alter my own clothes, would purchase a size up and then adjust not using the washer. However, this does point out that over time, even warm water will shrink cotton.

By the way, used to wonder as a lad why Oma was always fiddling with her washer when doing laundry. One day caught myself doing the same and recognized no setting is ever perfect for what one is doing, though have gotten better since that late '70s early '80s washer (only a motherboard part killed her, otherwise still be going) so less fiddling needed.

So don't hang wet pants out to dry?

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Sometimes feeding the trolls is fun. :p

I forgot you need exactness, so counted. I had 16. I used to have 52 shirts and nine casual coats, again their numbers knocked down due to growth spurt and weight loss. I live in a three bedroom house and all four closets had my clothes in them, some ways looking forward to getting down to just two. My Grandmother said I was a Ken doll she toughly enjoyed dressing (as was trim unlike my "f*t" Brother never mind her husband had grown heavy) and since meant nice clothes, I too enjoyed the journey. Too bad she believed one only needed a one sport coat and no suit, at least the one I do have still fits.
Are you sure it has three bedrooms?

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Are you sure it has three bedrooms?
Depends how you count. The guest room has a bed, though the bed covered with packed boxes for the move. So must a bedroom contain a bed to be a bedroom? What if the bedroom doesn't have a useable bed, then is it not a bedroom? If must have a bed and the guest bed doesn't count nor does the den as it too doesn't have a bed, so that be a one bedroom.

Now what about the fact I have also three inflatable beds? Does that mean I could have as many as five bedrooms?

I doubt the tax person see the same, they claim if has a closet, it's a bedroom (so Grandmother's house after 40 years of the tax office listing as four bedroom because of one person then was classified as a five bedroom). Have wondered if can build a house with no closets so be a zero bedroom house.

EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
...I doubt the tax person see the same, they claim if has a closet, it's a bedroom...Have wondered if can build a house with no closets so be a zero bedroom house.
This is why the Germans (and others) use "schränke"; by not having built-in closets, they avoid taxes...at least that's what I've been told by a number of people who have heard it from other people. This may be apocryphal...I do not know...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts