never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
I tend to wash my cottons in cold as well, save my dress shirts. I have oily skin and cold doesn’t get the collars clean. I wash those on warm, tumble on “air dry”, then hang them up to dry before ironing. I haven’t experienced any shrinkage issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
...So don't hang wet pants out to dry?
If you have an open-air space without direct sunlight, hanging garments "out" to dry is probably the best way to do it (from a perspective of least wear to the material from washing/drying).

Except for quick-drying synthetics (which I do hang "wet"), I use a dryer on a gentle heat setting to kick-start drying and also to help release wrinkles. I've found if hung wet indoors, thicker cottons (e.g., chinos and no-iron shirts) take a good bit longer to dry fully and tend to remain damp at their lowest point for quite some time.

Regards,

Last edited:

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Not responsive to the question on water temperature but an interesting observation on shrinkage: I got a pair of Nantucket greens from Murray’s Toggery and took them to my local tailor for cuffs. I said the usual “touching but no break, 1 3/4” cuffs.” The person pinning the pants said she would do the very most slight break to allow for shrinkage. Several warm washings and hot dryers later they still have that slight break. Aaargh! I wonder if this lack of shrinkage is a fluke or a quality of sail cloth. I love the pants, but the next pair will be treated with appropriately firm cuffing instructions!

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Adriel Rowley:

I'm in Estonia today.

I think you have my book, The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes, so check the Clothing Care Chapter for more info than you want on washing!!
I think did, didn't think to look in there. Further surprised shrank that much in cool water.

Love to visit Estonia as where Lou Kahn was born. Just a day or two for a general feel and experience. Enjoy your travels.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
This is why the Germans (and others) use "schränke"; by not having built-in closets, they avoid taxes...at least that's what I've been told by a number of people who have heard it from other people. This may be apocryphal...I do not know...
My Dad spent two Summers in Austria and where I got the idea from. Also, one can change the rooms, for example depending on the season of the year, season of life, what ever reason.

I doubt apocryphal as why would his Austrian friends he was living with would have reason to make it up?

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
If you have an open-air space without direct sunlight, hanging garments "out" to dry is probably the best way to do it (from a perspective of least wear to the material from washing/drying).

Except for quick-drying synthetics (which I do hang "wet"), I use a dryer on a gentle heat setting to kick-start drying and also to help release wrinkles. I've found if hung wet indoors, thicker cottons (e.g., chinos and no-iron shirts) take a good bit longer to dry fully and tend to remain damp at their lowest point for quite some time.

Regards,
I use the shower curtain rod in the bathroom, so yes no direct sunlight.

Interesting a touch of drier time helps in de-wrinkling. Next time will try using the touch up cycle (which never got it to do what it is supposed to and light wrinkles out).

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Not responsive to the question on water temperature but an interesting observation on shrinkage: I got a pair of Nantucket greens from Murray’s Toggery and took them to my local tailor for cuffs. I said the usual “touching but no break, 1 3/4” cuffs.” The person pinning the pants said she would do the very most slight break to allow for shrinkage. Several warm washings and hot dryers later they still have that slight break. Aaargh! I wonder if this lack of shrinkage is a fluke or a quality of sail cloth. I love the pants, but the next pair will be treated with appropriately firm cuffing instructions!
I was taught always to launder before first wearing as never know who last tried them on in the store or how handled in the factory. Maybe another reason to "pre shrink"?

Why couldn't you now go back and ask for them to be adjusted how you first asked for them? I would think they would actually want to make it right especially since it's a long term relationship (I was the third generation to go to John until he seems to have retired). Heck, take it in with the next pair so there is clear understanding.

Interesting your strong desire for no break. I find different footwear ever so slightly affects the break. I prefer no break, though so long as not pooling and of a crisp drape, fine with it. Never understood looking like you were wearing your older Brother's pants or suit.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I was taught always to launder before first wearing as never know who last tried them on in the store or how handled in the factory. Maybe another reason to "pre shrink"?

Why couldn't you now go back and ask for them to be adjusted how you first asked for them? I would think they would actually want to make it right especially since it's a long term relationship (I was the third generation to go to John until he seems to have retired). Heck, take it in with the next pair so there is clear understanding.

Interesting your strong desire for no break. I find different footwear ever so slightly affects the break. I prefer no break, though so long as not pooling and of a crisp drape, fine with it. Never understood looking like you were wearing your older Brother's pants or suit.
The break is now so small that I can live with it. So I’ll just chalk this one up to experience. If it were a fancy pair of pants I’d have them adjusted.

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
My Dad spent two Summers in Austria and where I got the idea from. Also, one can change the rooms, for example depending on the season of the year, season of life, what ever reason.

I doubt apocryphal as why would his Austrian friends he was living with would have reason to make it up?
I said “might be” because I do not know it to be true but have heard it often (which does not disabuse me of not knowing it to be true)...

Regards,

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
I use the shower curtain rod in the bathroom, so yes no direct sunlight.
As do I.

Interesting a touch of drier time helps in de-wrinkling. Next time will try using the touch up cycle (which never got it to do what it is supposed to and light wrinkles out).
I seem to recall from somewhere the heat “activates” the treatment of no-wrinkle garments. I do not know if that is true; however it seems sensible that heat would have the effect of “relaxing” the fibers of a fabric and thus aids in “de-wrinkling”...similar enough to ironing, but without the addition of pressure to reform the fabric to a defined shape versus allowing it to relax to the shape it has “memory” of.

When no-iron shirts are new, one can give them 5-10 minutes in a moderately hot dryer, re-shape them by hand on a hanger, and then let them hang to dry with fairly satisfactory result...for perhaps a dozen (or two) washings. When I say re-shape, I mean with some vigor—I smooth the sleeves, chest, and back and give them quick, firm tugs to “pop” them back into shape. That really only works when a shirt is no-iron and fairly new. Actually ironing is of course much better.

Regards,

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts