32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
I am in the market for a parka. I am a LL Bean kinda guy. I know what they offer. The problem with current iterations are that they are too "technical" for my tastes or too "puffy" for my tastes.

So, while I like LL Bean's Baxter, I can do without the technical fabric. Also, it may be too warm for my needs. The Canadian Goose stuff looks great, but I am not going to spend over $1000 for a winter coat.

What do you gents like? Currently, I am going to be keeping an eye on Ebay for a used LL Bean parka.

(If anyone has one in XL tall that they want to part with, let me know.)
Your LL Bean instincts are correct, I think. What you're looking for is a Maine Warden's Parka, not the one now offered that has the zip-out goose down jacket, costs $349 and is made who knows where, but the previous version that is made in USA and will work, on its own, for temperatures down to 25 degrees or so, and with appropriate layering, much lower. Do not shun modern "technical" materials simply because they are modern. Edmund Hillary would have given his eyeteeth for what's available today. Barbours have their place, but when parka weather hits, you want a parka, not a cheerio-old-sport-waxed-cotton-please-pass-the-brandy-brrr sort of thing-y.

I happen to have a proper Maine Warden's Parka on offer on eBay, but it is not your size. I was awfully happy to find it at the local thrift on Black Friday for the scandalously low price of...well, gents shouldn't discuss such things, should we? Any rate, these coats typically sell for between $50 and $125 on eBay, depending on condition and season, and they are exactly what you are seeking. Gore-Tex shell, Thinsulate insulation, detachable hood, double YKK zipper, snap storm flap, drawstring inner waist doo-hickey, a zillion pockets, plenty of room for layering and bullet proof. Go for the green classic exterior. It screams "I'm an LL Bean guy who knows my stuff." Unfortunately, you have chosen the wrong season to buy a parka, so you'll pay a premium. But it will last you many, many years.

Good luck.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
Your LL Bean instincts are correct, I think. What you're looking for is a Maine Warden's Parka, not the one now offered that has the zip-out goose down jacket, costs $349 and is made who knows where, but the previous version that is made in USA and will work, on its own, for temperatures down to 25 degrees or so, and with appropriate layering, much lower. Do not shun modern "technical" materials simply because they are modern. Edmund Hillary would have given his eyeteeth for what's available today. Barbours have their place, but when parka weather hits, you want a parka, not a cheerio-old-sport-waxed-cotton-please-pass-the-brandy-brrr sort of thing-y.

I happen to have a proper Maine Warden's Parka on offer on eBay, but it is not your size. I was awfully happy to find it at the local thrift on Black Friday for the scandalously low price of...well, gents shouldn't discuss such things, should we? Any rate, these coats typically sell for between $50 and $125 on eBay, depending on condition and season, and they are exactly what you are seeking. Gore-Tex shell, Thinsulate insulation, detachable hood, double YKK zipper, snap storm flap, drawstring inner waist doo-hickey, a zillion pockets, plenty of room for layering and bullet proof. Go for the green classic exterior. It screams "I'm an LL Bean guy who knows my stuff." Unfortunately, you have chosen the wrong season to buy a parka, so you'll pay a premium. But it will last you many, many years.

Good luck.
Welcome back! :icon_cheers:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Do not shun modern "technical" materials simply because they are modern. Edmund Hillary would have given his eyeteeth for what's available today. Barbours have their place, but when parka weather hits, you want a parka, not a cheerio-old-sport-waxed-cotton-please-pass-the-brandy-brrr sort of thing-y.
THANK YOU for stating this. I've been pleased to see that slowly, gradually on the "clothing fora" a measure of reality has dripped in, and this post is an example of that.

Pentheos

Advanced Member
United States
Wisconsin
Clinton
After some indecision, and after the first taste of real cold in northern Indiana, I bought a nearly-new LL Bean Baxter parka in bright red. I fear that it may be too warm, but we'll see.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
After some indecision, and after the first taste of real cold in northern Indiana, I bought a nearly-new LL Bean Baxter parka in bright red. I fear that it may be too warm, but we'll see.
There is no such thing as too warm (having lived 45 years in Canuckistan).

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Indiana
Indy
I have the LLB Baxter parka. It's wearable temperature range is 30 degrees to zero, or below, depending upon layers. I don't wear that coat above freezing. It's just too warm. It is a fantastic value at the price.

Pentheos

Advanced Member
United States
Wisconsin
Clinton
I have the LLB Baxter parka. It's wearable temperature range is 30 degrees to zero, or below, depending upon layers. I don't wear that coat above freezing. It's just too warm. It is a fantastic value at the price.
I agree. I got one from Ebay, indistinguishable from new, for $125. I am extremely pleased with it, and now regret hemming and hawing about which parka to buy. I guess I was at first scared by the -45 rating, thinking that anything in the 20s would be like an oven in it. No, it's just comfortable.

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York
Not sure if this has been mentioned, or if it is common knowledge around these parts, but there are two different versions of the Baxter State Parka.
I believe Pentheos & Old Road Dog are talking about the current version offered by LL Bean. It has a down filling and an LL Bean Temperature rating.
But should you shop second hand you're likely to come across a version offered around the 80's. Its a 60/40 shell that comes unlined or wool lined. I own a wool lined one and IMO its about the same as wearing a light sweater.

Pentheos

Advanced Member
United States
Wisconsin
Clinton
Not sure if this has been mentioned, or if it is common knowledge around these parts, but there are two different versions of the Baxter State Parka.
I believe Pentheos & Old Road Dog are talking about the current version offered by LL Bean. It has a down filling and an LL Bean Temperature rating.
But should you shop second hand you're likely to come across a version offered around the 80's. Its a 60/40 shell that comes unlined or wool lined. I own a wool lined one and IMO its about the same as wearing a light sweater.
Yes, I mean the new, catalog version 80% down fill, large useless breast pockets, hood with fake fur ruff.

That older, plaid-lined version looks rather unsubstantial.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts