Omega

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Great Britain
England
City
LondonFogey - thank you for such spot-on advices! This is what I really wanted to know. Though recommendations/advices from other forum readers are also welcome.

David A.

United States
DC
Washington
How long should a dress shirt last?

Most of the comments here seem to be about suits, except from Alex and a few others. I've noticed some serious roughing-up/pilling on the collars of my dress shirts after just 40 or so washes. Admittedly, none of these are particularly high quality shirts, certainly nothing near what Alex provides. In addition, I have a relatively large neck for my frame, so I use a little metal collar extender. Does that contribute to heavy wear?

Perhaps I could go up a collar size or two but look for slim-fit, so that my shirt don't fit me like a tent.

Thanks!

Pipps

Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
A shirt made from a high quality cotton, Sea Island for instance, produced by a reputable mill, will last fifty washes and still look exactly the same as the day it was born. Seriously.

The_Foxx

Life expectancy of John Lobb shoes: 15 years, if properly cared for and resoled when necessary.

Life expectancy of Brioni suits and sportcoats, all with moderate lapels and double vents: 10-12 years, if steamed and brushed regularly and dry cleaning avoided.

Life expectancy of Oxxford suits and sportcoats, all with moderate lapels and double vents: 12-15 years, if steamed and brushed regularly and dry cleaning avoided.

Life expectancy of SoCal's Thom Browne suits, sportcoats, and trousers:
8 months to 1 year, when thom browne's shrunken look falls out of bed and no one wears it any more-- except for Pee Wee Herman re-runs at 2AM.

heh heh heh.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts