Haffman

UK
Oxon
Oxford
A few weeks ago, in a thread dedicated to the subject of plain old soap, Mr Shaver used the phrase "[it] is simply one of life's minor luxuries" (when referring to his fondness for Musco soap).

I find this phrase quite pleasing and it has got me thinking about those other minor luxuries that we may enjoy and wish to share. In keeping with the definition of luxury, these would be "desirable for comfort and enjoyment, but not indispensable". They would be minor in the sense that, unlike many of the luxuries that we discuss here like bespoke suits and handgrade shoes, they may be had relatively easily an inexpensively, if one seeks to find them.

I have posted this on the interchange since the subject crosses clothing, grooming and so forth.

What are the minor luxuries which make your life more enjoyable?

Some of mine are :

Good quality shaving products;- I use creams and soaps from Taylor of Old Bond Street and Truefitt & Hill

Proper caffeinated beverages;I eschew instant coffee and like to get proper ground beans (Monmouth Coffee Company) and good quality tea leaves (Fortnum & Mason)

Decent shoe polish;since shoe leather is (or at least was) skin, it needs the best protection - so I like to use Saphir products

Fresh socks - I really find one of life's great minor luxuries to be a new pair of socks. It's an excellent start to the day! I'm certainly not rich enough to have a new pair a day or anything like that, but I try and remember to invest in new socks at regular intervals (Pantherella and Falke)

Well, there's some of mine...but there's always room in life for more minor luxuries so I'd really like to hear some of yours...?

dks202

United States
tx
San Antonio
Fresh socks - I really find one of life's great minor luxuries to be a new pair of socks. It's an excellent start to the day! I'm certainly not rich enough to have a new pair a day or anything like that, but I try and remember to invest in new socks at regular intervals (Pantherella and Falke)
There's one. I remember a move many years ago where a guy told someone he was so rich he could afford to wear a new pair of socks every day..... I always aspired to that... doubt if I'll make it.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
United States
VA
Alexandria
Pedicure!!

But something MUST BE DONE about the sock inequity in America.

If those filthy fat cat 1%ers weren't sucking all the decent socks out of the economy, there would be enough socks for everyone.

No socks,

NO PEACE!!

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
D R Harris shampoo, not only the inestimable pleasure of provenance but also a fad free and highly efficient product. Firm paste, no mess, gentle lather and bestows squeaky clean hair.

Kent F3T comb. Hand made, saw cut. The most lauded manufacturer in the world. Who else could you trust your parting to?

American Crew pomade. Concededly this item does not proclaim a Royal crest, but it should. Subtle masculine barber shop smell, water based and clear. This will hold hair but allowing it to remain soft and natural to the touch, unlike most other products.

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
nice clean socks
good strong cup of coffee
nice haircut

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
The occasional Barbershop shave (steamed towels, heated shaving soap, straight razor...the works!); really good quality footwear (more than a luxury and almost a necessity.); a tightly woven, thick wool cardigan on a cold winter morning or evening; the small menagerie of God's creations that use our front proch, yard and woodlot as a playground, providing endless hours of entertainment for my wife and I.

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
United States
NJ
Morristown
You're going to laugh, but I'm totally serious: Lunch at White Castles (4 sliders, crinkle cut fries, and a diet coke). When the nearest WC is 35 miles away, it certainly is a luxury.

Canadian

Canada
Alberta
Lethbridge
Prairie Fire hot wings.

Decent hiking boots

A car for even the shortest of trips

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts