32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/us/politics/jeb-bush-presidential-campaign.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

I make no judgment as the candidate's qualifications/fitness for office, but sheesh. How much do they pay whoever it is who comes up with these things to come up with these things? I can just hear it:

First highly paid political consultant: Well, the polls are showing a significant negative association with the candidate's surname.

Second highly paid political consultant: Here's what we'll do: We'll just never mention the last name.

First highly paid political consultant: Brilliant! Should we go whole hog and legally change the name?

Second highly paid political consultant: No, that would be going too far, and besides which, polls show a negative association amongst likely voters with lawyers and the courts, and we'd need to go to court to change the name. So we'll just pretend, which is much better.

Is it really possible that such tactics work? If so, our democracy is in much greater danger than anyone thought.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
It is simply delicious that the male descendants of the 'Great Beast' should continue to occupy the most powerful position in the World.

A∴A∴

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Reading the article, I found myself thinking of F. D. R. Certainly not one of the financially down trodden masses and one who had to use his wife's sense of social responsibility to interface with and advocate for all of us "poor commoners" comprising the middle and lower financial classes. FDR was not one of us, in terms of his financial and social background, but what other Administration has looked out for and done as much for the average guy, as did FDR's? I suspect, none!

Jeez Louise, if anyone on the RNC reads this, they might revoke my membership in the Republican party! :eek:

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
John Boehner just called, and Lee Atwater is holding on line three...

Reading the article, I found myself thinking of F. D. R. Certainly not one of the financially down trodden masses and one who had to use his wife's sense of social responsibility to interface with and advocate for all of us "poor commoners" comprising the middle and lower financial classes. FDR was not one of us, in terms of his financial and social background, but what other Administration has looked out for and done as much for the average guy, as did FDR's? I suspect, none!

Jeez Louise, if anyone on the RNC reads this, they might revoke my membership in the Republican party! :eek:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Good grief...it's happening so quickly. I'll not be able to show my face at any future family reunions! LOL. ;)

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Everyone settle down! It's a political campaign for God's sake.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
United States
Michigan
Lansing
This is unfortunately one of the bad things about the Republican party - - and the Democratic. Anyone who is nuanced instead of shrill gets thrown aside without a hearing. It's really sad.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Everyone settle down! It's a political campaign for God's sake.
Oh, God. Another political campaign. We're, what, only 18 months out from Election Day? I'm so political-campaigned out I could puke. Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the campaigns have gotten longer and longer to the point that they almost never end.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts