Linen Dress Shirts

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by chris2008, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chris2008

chris2008 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Nesconset
    I have a shirt made from cotton and linen blended fabric, and when I hold the fabric up towards the light it is quite translucent. Are linen and cotton and linen dress shirts typically lightweight and very translucent?

Clintotron likes this.
  2. TerryM

TerryM Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Colorado
    Durango
    Linen breathes very well and is usually thin. I gave up on them because they are too much work.

3. Titus_A

Titus_A Super Member

United States
    TN
    Nashville
    It depends. Linen is generally woven in a lightweight weave when used for clothes, although that is not always the case. The only linen shirts I have ever seen were rather as you describe.

I wouldn't describe a linen shirt as a "dress shirt," though: the fabric doesn't lend itself to the formality of being a "dress shirt." They make wonderful summer sports shirts, though.

4. Mike Petrik

Mike Petrik Honors Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I agree with Titus. That said, long sleeve linen shirts with button down collars can work nicely with a knit or similarly informal necktie and a seersucker or poplin jacket. Because few linen shirts with pointed collars accommodate collar stays they generally won't work well with a tie.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. chris2008

chris2008 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Nesconset
    Do lightweight linen shirts tear easily?

6. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Honors Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    My experience is that they do not.

If you want to painlessly dip your toe into the world of linen shirts, try a couple from Uniqlo--every now and then they go on sale for $19.90 each (full retail is a whopping $29.90). They are good, but they are strictly casual items.

I actually enjoy ironing my wrinkled linen shirts from various merchants. I spray each shirt with water, apply the iron, and watch with satisfaction as a wrinkled mess steadily turns back into a smooth shirt. As long as I spritz on enough water, the ironing process is pretty easy.

7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I can vouch for the UniQlo linen shirts. An excellent value.

While I don’t consider linen a dress shirt, it is still a proper shirt to wear out to dinner if the weather is particularly hot or if you just want to bump your outfit up a rung on the formality ladder.

Charles Dana likes this.
  8. Mike Petrik

Mike Petrik Honors Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    Agreed, and a linen shirt works perfectly fine with a sport jacket. IMO they are generally not dressy enough for neckties other than more casual ties such as seersucker or knit.

9. johnpride

johnpride Starting Member

India
    India
    Delhi
    Delhi
    Woven Linen is used as fabric which is best in Summer. Pair it up with your favorite denim and formal trousers for the perfect casual wear party looks

10. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    70/30 cotton/linen blends (or similar) can be worn as dress shirts and are a decent option with a summer suit.