Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Recently I ran across the following photos of "City" men in London, taken in the 1950s.

Last edited:

Trimmer

UK
England
North Shields
A gent?

The first one seems to be wearing a quilted suit with flared trousers. Can he really be called a gent?

Trimmer

David V

United States
IL
Downers Grove
The first photo looks more like a fashion shot from the late 60's. Not only are the pant legs flared so are the jacket sleeve.

Trimmer

UK
England
North Shields
Maybe a gent after all

At least he is showing some shirt cuff and wearing a pocket square - unlike some of the others.

Trimmer

Trimmer

UK
England
North Shields

This lot look so distressed that their bus stop is out of use they are contemplating jumping over the fence.

Trimmer

Trimmer

UK
England
North Shields
This is the End

This one can see the (sartorial) End is coming. Soon it will be the Sixties and bowlers will disappear.
In fact the bloke behind him is already experimenting with some 'mod' headgear.

Trimmer

Vettriano Man

Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Actually, this one dates from the late sixties and is a fine example of the 'regency' influenced style that was popular for a short time - Note the flared sleeves!

I well remember going with a schoolfriend to his tailor in Brighton for a fitting of his 'regency' suit in about 1968 and even the shirt worn with it had frilled cuffs. I believe the influence was created by the film 'On A Clear Day' which was set in the regency period and was filmed at the Royal Pavilion at Brighton.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
get pics, perhaps you should do a search for the 30's and the 60's too for us to compare.
Luk Cha: Good point. Maybe I will expand this later, or do another thread, assuming I can find enough useful photos.

Yachtie: Shhhhh! You must not speak of such things.

Everyone Else: Okay, I deleted that first photo, which clearly does not fit the thead topic. I had thought the listing said "1958", but I know it did say he was a "city gent at his country home". Anyway, I'll dredge it out later.

Lots more photos to follow on Monday, some absolutely great ones.

comrade

Not Fidel, Old Chap!

Yachtie, and Other Fellow Forum Memebers:

It is indeed a pleasure to share with you some of own
my (pop) cultural literacy: The bearded gentleman in the
bowler hat sporting the trademark orchid in his lapel is none
other than legendary Armenian Oil-Magnate Nubar Gulbenkian.
"Mr Five-Percent" was one of the major players of his generation
in the oil game and a noted eccentric and bon vivant.

http://www.bryanwharton.com/rooms/room6/gulbenkian.htm