Lord & Taylor in NYC closing

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by peterc, Feb 13, 2019.

1. peterc

peterc Super Member

United States
    california
    san francisco
    Beyond belief and very sad. I know it was most likely not a destination for folks here, but my wife and her mom loved it and I bought a very nice PRL blue silk/wool sportcoat there in 2016 that I am now going to cherish the rest of my life.

2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    L&T was once a useful nexus of decent quality, reliable style and fair value. Another old line retailer that has gotten muscled out by big capital, high concept retailers who want to sell junk, cheap, or just OK stuff at outlandish prices.

(Before long no one born west of Moscow will be able to afford to live or do business in Manhattan! ;))

upload_2019-2-13_18-24-6.png

cosmotoast likes this.
  3. ran23

ran23 Senior Member

United States
    Oregon
    Medford
    My last summer wool SC was L&T, my favorite.

4. peterc

peterc Super Member

United States
    california
    san francisco
    Back in the 80's when I lived on the East Coast (1985-1988 - all magical years, I assure you), the elevators at L&T were staffed by human beings.

cosmotoast likes this.
  5. jkranites

jkranites New Member

United States
    Florida
    Miami
    My mom and Grandmother used to love Lord & Taylor

6. StephenRG

StephenRG Honors Member

United States
    New York
    Merrick
    I popped in there recently as they were clearing out, just in case there were bargains to be had in the menswear section. There weren't.

I occasionally was dragged in there kicking and screaming by my ex and found that the service was really very good. I never found anything worth buying for me, though.

7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    For years in the '80s and early '90s, I'd hit L&T's tenth floor men's department mainly for the Ralph Lauren stuff that L&T regularly put on sale. I still have a pair of cashmere-lined Purple Label gloves that (don't remember the price any more, but) I bought, with this coupon added onto that discount, for about 70% off - which was still not cheap, but a heck of a pair of gloves.

I probably have a few more things from those days, but I'd have to look through. The other thing I bought there for years - and this will echo with the Trad side of the house - were Haspel suits which L&T carried in large numbers for years and always had insane end-of-season sales.

I don't remember why - I don't recall any reason or conscious decision - but by the early '00s, I just stopped going. It definitely felt tired by then and the store, at least the men's floor (which took some effort to get to), was usually empty which made shopping easy, but felt Twilight Zone weird as it was a really big department that you might be the only customer in.

cosmotoast likes this.
  8. peterc

peterc Super Member

United States
    california
    san francisco
    Fading, you are correct in your observations and your's mirror mine from 2016 and 2017. Still, I liked the old world vibe of the place. I only bought a house brand tie in 2017, but I like it a lot and wear it frequently.

Fading Fast likes this.
  9. Nick V

Nick V Senior Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    I read recently everything was on sale. Even the showcases and those beautiful chandeliers!!
    Also read that a tech company will be taking over the property.

10. peterc

peterc Super Member

United States
    california
    san francisco
    Yes, can you believe it..wework will take over the space.