Loro Piano Super 150s / 250g -- too delicate?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by newsuit222, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:50 AM.

1. newsuit222

newsuit222 Starting Member

United States
    DC
    Washington
    Was measured yesterday for my first custom suit for my summer wedding. Ended up selecting a Loro Piana Super 150s / 250g, which felt fantastic. But now doing some more research, I see lots of people saying such a fabric might be too fine and delicate. This is primarily for my wedding but I would like it to be something I can wear in the future (perhaps 3-4 times a year). I also want to make sure the fabric drapes well on the wedding day itself of course.

Any advice? Should I try to swap out to something in the 120s range?

2. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I honestly don't have any experience with anything higher numbered that 120, myself, but most of the warnings I've read speak of numbers above 150. Still, a well-brushed, properly hung suit that only sees use 3-4 times a year should last for decades. It's frequent wear, even in a rotation, that wears high numbered suits out.

I'm having Joseph Abboud MTM a suit and jacket and pants for me in summer weight cloth that's 100s and it's marvelously fine and light. It, like yours, won't get worn very often and then only about 2-3 months a year so if I don't change weight much it ought to last as long as I do. So you can get lovely suits in all weights/numbers. Do whatever feels right to you.

JBierly likes this.
  3. Audi S5 TC

Audi S5 TC Advanced Member

The Lofts Apartments
    United States
    New York
    Farmingdale
    I recommend going with a thread count no higher than super 120s (preferably lower, like 80s or 90s).

4. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I have a few suits using the same fabric. No issues, but I don’t wear a suit daily either.

5. damon54

damon54 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Texas
    Dallas
    If you love the fabric I would say all systems go. Always nice to have a Special Events go to suit option and I can think of nothing that would be a special as a suit made for that occasion. I also agree that it will last decades w light use and good care. Steam & Press and wear in good health. Congrats as well!!

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    LP 150 fabric is pretty good. With proper care it will last a long, long time. Just don’t abuse it, though that could be said of anything.

7. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I feel like I am always the contrarian on this issue since I buy almost exclusively S150 and up suits. You won't come close to wearing it out at 3 to 4 times a year. So the other question is weight and drape. Obviously heavier fabrics tend to drape better but with ubiquitous HVAC and warm temperatures who wants to wear them. I have just a couple of heavier fabric suits - one is made from an English mill - it has a decent hand but is pretty heavy and suitable only for wear maybe 4 months out of the year. Yes, it drapes great but is it really that much better than some 14 micron suits I own that are comfortable year round? You live in DC, if you live in Boston I might say go heavier (say 300 grams +) but if you want a suit you are can wear year round I wouldn't strongly suggest it.

8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forum.

9. Audi S5 TC

Audi S5 TC Advanced Member

The Lofts Apartments
    United States
    New York
    Farmingdale
    These days, you can wear heavyweight fabrics (even those that are 400-600 grams, which is 13 to 20 ounces) in the northeast for 6 to 10 months a year and about the same in the plains (excluding Oklahoma and Texas) and the midwest.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:40 PM
  10. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Super Member

United States
    NC
    Waxhaw
    I have a suit made from LP 150's Tasmanian. I like it a lot. I would buy more suits with this fabric without hesitation. I find that it drapes just fine.