dsh

Starting Member
United States
Michigan
Berkley
I was recently elected to city council. I definitely was not a suit wearer before, but it is the expected uniform and I am building up my wardrobe. (I have to admit, I do like my new look.)

I was given a small lapel pin with the city seal on it that I'm expected to wear at city functions. It is all gold, round and 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

I know you're supposed to match metal colors (excluding your wedding band) in your ensemble. But my wedding ring is "silver" (palladium), and I prefer the brushed silver metal look.

As I look for new belts should I go with gold to match the lapel pin, or is silver just fine and go with what I like?

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
There are well-dressed gents who disagree, but I have never paid any mind to matching metals. I cannot imagine wearing metals other than a watch, a wedding band, blazer buttons and, when appropriate, a lapel pin. Even on the occasion of wearing all four, I don't even consider matching. The only metal matching I've ever done is accidental. I say don't worry about it -- go with what you like.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
dsh:

Congrats on your foray into public service. The governorship or President next?

Matching metals is not necessary. Here's what I have in The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:
You may want to coordinate the metal color with your watch and ring, so that everything, for example, is gold, but that’s not really necessary. Many watches contain both silver and gold and color mixing is not scorned.

Traditionally gold was appropriate for day, and silver for evening, but with the advent of a more casual approach both are interchangeable. Silver goes with blue, black or gray, and gold is best with earth tones.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I admit that I tend to match things - especially my watch and cufflinks. For example, I have some two tone cufflinks that are very similar to a metal watchband. The proximity matters a bit more since when someone looks at your wrist they may see both your links and watchband at the same time. Accordingly, the one thing I might consider for a lapel pin would be to match a tie bar or tie clasp for example. I don't think it matters much - but that is more likely to catch the eye than a discordant metal color on the buckle of your shoes.

Also - welcome to the Forum.

dsh

Starting Member
United States
Michigan
Berkley
And I realized after folks posted here about watches, I wasn't even thinking of matching that, and my watch bands are all black metal anyway...

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I personally agree BSR, at least in theory, but I admit that since I give this particular preference no note I don't even notice this species of matchy-matchy contrivance! :)

Last edited:

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills
According to my wife, I rarely bother matching my clothes. I cannot begin to calculate all the time I'd lose in my life if I had to match my metals and leathers too!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts