klein33

Starting Member
Hello,

I need a purchase a tuxedo. I won't be wearing it much, and I'm on a budget. I've been reading various forums, and I have the impression that Corneliani is a good off the rack brand.

I noticed that ebay has new Corneliani tux jackets for $200 - see this one for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/150754928424

If necessary, I can get it altered, but the measurements look good as is.

But is it even possible to find matching trousers? Would this be a white elephant? The fabric in the above example is subtly patterned, for example. Did they originally have trousers from the same fabric, or is some degree of mix and match allowed? I imagine that a tux must be precisely the same, so it seems this jacket is pretty much useless. I'd really appreciate any tips.

J.Klein

mrp

United States
Florida
Cocoa
Hello,

I need a purchase a tuxedo. I won't be wearing it much, and I'm on a budget. I've been reading various forums, and I have the impression that Corneliani is a good off the rack brand.

I noticed that ebay has new Corneliani tux jackets for $200 - see this one for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/150754928424

If necessary, I can get it altered, but the measurements look good as is.

But is it even possible to find matching trousers? Would this be a white elephant? The fabric in the above example is subtly patterned, for example. Did they originally have trousers from the same fabric, or is some degree of mix and match allowed? I imagine that a tux must be precisely the same, so it seems this jacket is pretty much useless. I'd really appreciate any tips.

J.Klein
You can actually find a white elephant, I'd call this one a green elephant.
Keep in mind fabric from lot to lot varies, you should always dry clean both trousers and coat together. Based on this your chances of finding a matching set of trousers are zip.

Canadian

Canada
Alberta
Lethbridge
I bought a Made in China, no name, NWT DJ and slacks, along with a free shirt and tie all for 100CDN about 18 months ago. It serves my needs as a musician and a Mason.

If you rarely wear a tux, consider something like this. When was the last time you were at a wedding and they checked your jacket at the door, looking for a designer label. For most events, people are glad to see you, and glad to see you in black tie.

Tom

arkirshner

Honors Member
United States
OH
Toledo
Canadian is correct. By the way, the peaks of the lapels on the Corneliani are over the top, literally. For that reason, even if the pants were available I would pass.

mrp

United States
Florida
Cocoa
Canadian is correct. By the way, the peaks of the lapels on the Corneliani are over the top, literally. For that reason, even if the pants were available I would pass.
LOL, I didn't even look at the picture. They are on the ridiculous side.

klein33

Starting Member
Thanks to everyone for protecting me against my optimistic nature. Point taken (heh) about the lapels. I guess Count Dracula wasn't the look I was going for.

I'm hesitant to wear a $100 Chinese tuxedo for this thing, as it's a pretty significant event. I figure I should also own a tuxedo, finally. Since I've maintained my current size for a while, I can afford to spend a bit more on something good, though not four figures for full retail.

How is this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380415658947 - please be critical.

It has a 43 inch chest and my chest is about 40 to 41. Is this too much slack?

J.Klein

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
Just wait for the next JAB sale--probably a 4th of July half off or better. They have decent SBPL tuxedos at a reasonable price. You can try it on, get it altered and probably get twenty years of use out of it at once or twice a year.

Acme

United States
IL
Chicago

arkirshner

Honors Member
United States
OH
Toledo
Thanks to everyone for protecting me against my optimistic nature. Point taken (heh) about the lapels. I guess Count Dracula wasn't the look I was going for.

I'm hesitant to wear a $100 Chinese tuxedo for this thing, as it's a pretty significant event. I figure I should also own a tuxedo, finally. Since I've maintained my current size for a while, I can afford to spend a bit more on something good, though not four figures for full retail.

How is this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380415658947 - please be critical.

It has a 43 inch chest and my chest is about 40 to 41. Is this too much slack?

J.Klein

Quite the opposite, it is probable that it will be too tight. Your jacket needs to be larger than your body so you can move. Women's clothing is cut to conform closely to the body, men's clothing is not. If you have a jacket that fits measure it as a benchmark.

I do not want to curb your enthusiasm for Corneliani, they make a great product, ( I have several that they made for Polo in the day). But it is necessary to try them on before buying. The most important factor in any garment is fit, followed by fabric, and then construction. You can not try on clothing over the internet. Those of us who buy over the internet, (at least those of us who buy without regrets, know what fits us and what does not).
\
You live in a big city and you have quite a few places that sell clothes. Try on as many suits as you can and see what size fits you in each line as the tagged sizes vary. One makers 40 may be the same size as another maker's 42 etc. Even at Brooks Brothers sizes vary from line to line, a Madison 40 is different from a Fitzgerald 40, which in turn differs from a Milano 40 etc.

Just wait for the next JAB sale--probably a 4th of July half off or better. They have decent SBPL tuxedos at a reasonable price. You can try it on, get it altered and probably get twenty years of use out of it at once or twice a year.
If you are interested in JAB, check their website every day as prices change several times a week. The tuxedos will be 70 per cent off before you know it. The JAB Signature line is pretty good, better than their regular tuxedo, moreover it comes in peaked lapel.

johnpark11

United States
Florida
Orlando
You got some good advise from these dudes. It's a great time to buy one ...before holiday season. Keep checking Overstock.com too. Nothing there now, but I bought mine there; (CK) and it's fine because I only wear it 1-2 x a year. Gonna upgrade this year though... One note, get it fit perfect. Nothing is shaper than a well fit tux.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts