Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
272_big.jpg
http://www.meermin.es/catalogo.php?id=1

Recently, the issue of Meermin footwear came up in another thread, as it has periodically. And it's common when it does for someone to ask something to the effect of, "Is it actually good footwear?" I'd read about it previously, and my fuzzy impression was that it was thought to be decent quality, but when I went looking for such references, I could not find them.

While just perusing The Shoe Snob, aka, Justin's Fitzpatrick's beautiful blog, I encountered his thumbnail opinion of them, brief enough that I offer it here in full -

"Meermin Mallorca, some of the best value for money shoes around. Not perfect, but well made and definitely worth the price"

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/2013/07/managing-your-shoe-purchase-expectations.html

Now, Mr. Fitzpatrick knows (And makes!) fine shoes. I take such enthusiastic praise from such a source as very high praise indeed.

zyxwvutsr

United States
Florida
Miami
I had a chance to see most of their shoes at their recent NYC trunk show. They certainly appeared to be high quality, though it's obviously impossible to say until one wears them over an extended time.

I didn't buy any at the show, but I did take the opportunity to find my size in a couple of their lasts, and I definitely plan to purchase a pair at some point.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Are their shoes made in Spain - our outsourced, in whole or in part?
Roger, to the best of my knowledge, they are entirely made in Spain. But that is from my not very specific memory after having read pieces about them over the last couple years.

And for many years I've read that Spain is one of three western European countries that still have an industry with the tradition of making fine men's footwear; these being Italy, Britain and Spain.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
I know I read somewhere that most of their shoes are all but completely manufactured in China, then "finished" in Spain - which explained the very attractive pricing.

I am on the move right now, but will try to find something solid on this later. A very quick Google search brought up multiple references to China, but I haven't the time to review them in depth right now.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Actually, Justin's earlier blog entry on Meermin confirms the made in China aspect.theshoesnobblog.com/2012/11/meermin-mallorca-review-appreciation.html

Hope I did the link right working from my phone.
Thank you for checking on this. Obviously, I misremembered the articles, or was misinformed.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Yep, the shoes are made in Shanghai with finishing done in Spain. The Parisian Gentleman named Meermin the top pick for entry-level price in his 2013 shoe recommendations article.
Thank you!

They're generally attractive shoes, and if I were in the market for one they offered, I would definitely consider them as an alternative/experiment.

It's interesting that the blogger describes the uppers as so-so, as that is the exact impression I get from the photos, despite glowing descriptions of the leather in the ad copy. The shoes also are priced pretty close to the lower end of Northamptonshire, and I would tend to have more confidence in those.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have enough shoes to last a lifetime, and have only purchased items for which I have a great yen, and which suit my current life. A brown tassel calfskin loafer is on the list. Should I purchase another shoe next year, I know exactly which it shall be, and where it will come from.