culverwood

UK
SW1
London
+1. If you're talking about a wedding. It's for the morning and afternoon. If the event starts at 6 pm you should wear evening wear (dinner jacket, a.k.a. tuxedo).
I would say you should wear whatever is on the invitation.

meb110

May I ask the context of your question ? It's fascinating to think that this stuff still exists somewhere.
I'm getting married and it's a noon wedding in St. Petersburg, FL. I thought morning dress might be an interesting idea.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I think it is a splendid idea, meb110.

The challenge with weddings is that strictly speaking two events are normally involved, the wedding ceremony and the wedding reception, with the commencement time of each often dictating different dress codes. Obviously requiring two rigs can present practical and financial burdens for the gents involved. Since the common practice in the US is to send a single invitation for both events I think pragmatism often allows one to treat both events as a single event for purposes of dress, which means the commencement time of the ceremony may govern as suggested above by akirschner.

I would also apply sensibly relaxed rules, meaning that while a noon wedding would indicate morning dress for the day and a 4:00 wedding might suggest tuxedo, a 2:00 normally indicating morning dress may accommodate tuxedo if the reception follows soon after the ceremony and is expected to go well into the evening.

OTOH if an early ceremony suggesting morning dress is followed by a significant break before an evening reception, the gents might consider changing into simple cocktail attire for the reception (instead of tuxedo, assuming of course that the invitation does not otherwise suggest the higher formality) as an option mindful of both protocol and pragmatism.

Last edited:

culverwood

UK
SW1
London
FYI Morning dress is still a standard dress code in the UK for weddings (which here must happen during the day) and nobody would think about changing for the evening unless there was a very long break between the wedding and the reception and the invitation suggested a change of clothes.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Culverwood —
Thank you. That is interesting and instructive. So if morning dress is worn for a 11:00 a.m. wedding the same attire would be expected for the evening reception unless the invitation suggested otherwise? If so, I applaud the practicality of treating the events as a single event.

culverwood

UK
SW1
London
Yes though not very many wedding would be held as early as that here. The most traditional smart wedding would be and early afternoon wedding at the local church going on to a reception in a marquee in the bride's parents garden which will start with canapes and then a dinner finishing with dancing to a live band until the wee early hours.

Of course many weddings now are held in cities and these tend to be more like parties for the friends of the bride and groom and are much livelier affairs.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Thanks, culverwood. In my experience morning weddings have also become less common in most parts of the US, and those that do occur today seldom involve evening receptions. In the US most informed ladies and gents would consider late afternoon weddings as evenings affairs if followed by an evening reception. The sartorial challenge rests chiefly with early afternoon weddings followed by evening receptions. I gather in the UK that challenge is resolved in favor of morning dress for both events unless otherwise suggested. This seems very sensible to me, and IMO should be the convention in the US too if it is not already.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I love morning dress and strongly promote its use when appropriate.

A florida mid day wedding and afternoon reception, if indoors, would be a nice event. A June/July outdoor afternoon event in St. Pete can be blazing hot. Morning dress might be a bit warm given the weight and type of fabric.

Being comfortable and looking great is the best combo taking into account the season and venue.

Cheers,

BSR

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts