• Walnut

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters

phyrpowr

Honors Member
United States
North Carolina
Charlotte
I really like AEs walnut color for the dye, then polished with cordovan to redden up a bit. Good luck, that's a handsome shoe as is.

YoungClayB

United States
North Carolina
linville
update...I finished striping the left shoe and went ahead and applied the medium brown dye. I then rubbed then down for a while with alcohol to create some highlights and antiquing...right now they are soaking up some much needed conditioner...the result looks pretty darn good. The color is much closer to burgundy than medium brown, but they still look good. I will post more pictures once I can get some polish on them.

TheWGP

This is an inspiration... also, I halfway like the light-natural color they have sans dye - it almost looks suedeish, though of course it isn't. Looking forward to pictures of the completed project!

Sean Archer

update...I finished striping the left shoe and went ahead and applied the medium brown dye. I then rubbed then down for a while with alcohol to create some highlights and antiquing...right now they are soaking up some much needed conditioner...the result looks pretty darn good. The color is much closer to burgundy than medium brown, but they still look good. I will post more pictures once I can get some polish on them.
Cool!

YoungClayB

United States
North Carolina
linville
Ok...here are some more pictures...

Right shoe striped, Left shoe original finish:

Both shoes striped:

Right shoe dyed (still wet):

Both shoes dyed (starting to dry a little):

Shortly after I took the previous pic, I wet several (actually about 10) paper towels with alcohol and I rubbed a good bit of the darkness out of the finish and exposed some nice reddish/burgundy highlights...basically creating some antiquing (reverse antiquing?)...I then went ahead and put on a light coat of AE cleaner/conditioner to give the leather some much needed moisture after today's traumatic activities.

I let them sit for about 2 hours, and after I got home from dinner with the family, I buffed them for about 10 min per shoe. They are starting to look quite nice.

Right shoe:

Left shoe:

Thats all for tonight. Its kind of funny that I woke up this morning seriously considering sending these to AE for refinishing.

Also please keep in mind that the shoes still havent seen any shoe cream or polish. I am going to let them dry good tonight and will shine them up tomorrow and will take some more pictures outside with some natural light.

frosejr

United States
Maryland
Gaithersburg
This has been a great and inspiring thread to follow. I bought a pair of old AEs on ebay that I was going to donate because the finish had been maintained so poorly. Now I will try the same thing you did, and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I donate them anyway. And I can make them any color I want! I need to go to the local shoe hospital on the way to work tomorrow :icon_smile: