• Brown

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Walnut

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters

Musick

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Thanks for posting.

For your 1st time, I think they came out MUCH better than most attempts I have seen. As you said, cutting the dye may make for a more dramatic antique or perhaps a few different colors (red maybe???) may increase the contrast/depth.

I am amazed how well 91% does in cutting through the finish...wow!

Good job!!

Master-Classter

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
wow, really nice job.

if i may just add, under costs, you may have forgotten to include your time and energy. At at least $20-30/hour, we're talking what, another 2-3 hours of time? maybe 5 hours? etc... I know it's a hobby and good fun and all, just pointing this out.

riyadh552

United States
GA
Atlanta
Really stellar job...

Clay,

Excellent job on those AEs! I am definitely inspired to try your methods on a couple of my older shoes.

Riyadh

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
United States
Heart of the Bluegrass
Lexington
Great job. They look great. Did you consider doing any antiquing during the refinish?

YoungClayB

United States
North Carolina
linville
Hey guys...thanks again for all the kind words...this has been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot in the process. For anyone who tries this, my biggest piece of advice would be to take your time with the striping process...use alcohol instead of acetone (because acetone can be much more harsh on the leather)...it will take a little longer and more elbow grease but in the end, your leather wont be nearly as dried out.

I am glad that I have inspired so many of you to consider similar projects...truth be told, I've also inspired myself! I never would have dreamed that the results would be this good.

So....these are next! :) This is a pair of of J&M's that I bought new in 2001 and had refinished by J&M several years ago. These were a beautiful chestnut color before they were sent for refinishing, but when they came back from J&M after refinishing, they had this god awful redish brown spray paint on them...you can see the natural wearing away of the refinishing coat in the creases. Wish me luck!

YoungClayB

United States
North Carolina
linville
Great job. They look great. Did you consider doing any antiquing during the refinish?
Hi Alan..Thanks. Yeah, sort of. Since I didnt "cut" the dye before applying it, the shoes really soaked it up. So once they dried, I sort of did a bit of "reverse antiquing" by using paper towels with rubbing alcohol on the high points of the shoes to lift some of the dye and give some color variation.