Mystery stain on suit lapel from dry cleaner

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Jeff84, May 23, 2019.

1. Jeff84

Jeff84 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Michigan
    Livonia
    My new custom charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that I wore ONE time, I took it to the dry cleaner because I was caught in the rain. I pick it up, and there is a dark mystery stain on the lapel. Has anyone ever sued a dry cleaner or gotten reimbursed for ruined suits? It cost me almost $1,200.

2. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    And what happened when you discussed it with the cleaner?

3. Jeff84

United States
    Michigan
    Livonia
    She said that she would re-clean it for me. I have never had anything like this happen before. I’ve actually been going to this place off and on for years. It almost looks like a straight line mark, and one of my suit guys said it could’ve been a burn mark from being pressed.

4. Jeff84

United States
    Michigan
    Livonia
    When I brought it to her attention, she said stain was there when she pressed the suit! I couldn’t think of a calm way to ask if she rest hell, does setting the state. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you like iron in a stain, it will never ever come out?

5. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Have you given them a chance to make it right? Perhaps go that route before the nuclear option.

By the way, read your ticket; the cleaners will only cover up to a certain % or dollar amount typically.

6. Jeff84

United States
    Michigan
    Livonia
    I’m giving them an opportunity to fix it. I just didn’t know what type of measures anyone has taken if their suit was ruined.

7. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    Can’t really argue with that logic.

Charles Dana likes this.
  8. Jeff84

United States
    Michigan
    Livonia
    That was a huge typo, text to speak.

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    I can't say I've ever made any claims against a dry cleaner for a suit, but I have been reimbursed by a dry cleaner for a Brooks Brothers dress shirt, on which the upper left sleeve of the shirt had a 1/2" cut in the fabric when it came back from the dry cleaner after being laundered by them. I never had to go to court, but then the reimbursement received was what they determined to be the depreciated value of the shirt. As I recall, the reimbursement I received was somewhat less than $30. :( I do hope they are able to get the stain out of your lapel.

Jeff84 likes this.
  10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    ^ dry cleaners limit their indemnity for such reasons. Otherwise someone could bring in a Kiton suit, with prior defects, then claim that the cleaners ruined it.

This is why a suit should not be sent to the cleaners unless soiled or soaked through. And also why one needs to be selective with the particular cleaner.