Jeff84

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Livonia
My new custom charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that I wore ONE time, I took it to the dry cleaner because I was caught in the rain. I pick it up, and there is a dark mystery stain on the lapel. Has anyone ever sued a dry cleaner or gotten reimbursed for ruined suits? It cost me almost $1,200.

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
She said that she would re-clean it for me. I have never had anything like this happen before. I’ve actually been going to this place off and on for years. It almost looks like a straight line mark, and one of my suit guys said it could’ve been a burn mark from being pressed.

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
When I brought it to her attention, she said stain was there when she pressed the suit! I couldn’t think of a calm way to ask if she rest hell, does setting the state. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you like iron in a stain, it will never ever come out?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Have you given them a chance to make it right? Perhaps go that route before the nuclear option.

By the way, read your ticket; the cleaners will only cover up to a certain % or dollar amount typically.

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
I’m giving them an opportunity to fix it. I just didn’t know what type of measures anyone has taken if their suit was ruined.

Jeff84

United States
Michigan
Livonia
That was a huge typo, text to speak.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I can't say I've ever made any claims against a dry cleaner for a suit, but I have been reimbursed by a dry cleaner for a Brooks Brothers dress shirt, on which the upper left sleeve of the shirt had a 1/2" cut in the fabric when it came back from the dry cleaner after being laundered by them. I never had to go to court, but then the reimbursement received was what they determined to be the depreciated value of the shirt. As I recall, the reimbursement I received was somewhat less than $30. :( I do hope they are able to get the stain out of your lapel.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
^ dry cleaners limit their indemnity for such reasons. Otherwise someone could bring in a Kiton suit, with prior defects, then claim that the cleaners ruined it.

This is why a suit should not be sent to the cleaners unless soiled or soaked through. And also why one needs to be selective with the particular cleaner.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts