Need suit with bigger drop

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by deliberate1, May 14, 2008.

1. deliberate1

deliberate1 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Maine
    Sedgwick
    Friends, I am between sizes, at least with most suits. My jacket size tends towards a 44, as I need close to 20" shoulders, 25" sleeves and 45-46" chest. But my waist size is a 33 to 34. I find that most 42 R have trousers in the 36" range, which is alterable without much fuss. But the jackets are too tight in the shoulders and waist. The 44" suits fit in the jacket but tend to come with 38" pants, which is too much to alter. So I am looking for a suit maker that has a drop of, ideally, 8-9". I favor Italian cuts. Any help? Much obliged. David (PS: My first post - great site!!).

2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Welcome to the forum! Have you considered MTM or Bespoke. Also, the suit separates offered by a number of manufacturers might work. Given the 'drop' you are dealing with, those might be your best options. Good luck in the hunt!

3. WhaleinaTeardrop

WhaleinaTeardrop New Member

How large are your thighs and backside?

I ask because I have a 19"-20" drop. I have a 54"-55"chest and a 35" waist, but the pants that come with a 52 or 54XL suit usually fit pretty will due to my thighs and the twins out back, :icon_smile_big:, I just get the waistband notched and taken in about 3" and everything is good.

4. Rossini

Rossini Honors Member

Aaland
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Yes, I would have thought stores that sell as separates are your best first bet. In the UK & Ireland, Marks and Spencers does this. So, I would assume that Brooks Brothers would too, for example. And budget permitting, MTM is going to be a better course. Zegna's MTM offering is excellent.

5. deliberate1

United States
    Maine
    Sedgwick
    Gents, greatful for the replies.
    Whaelina, that is not a drop - it is a plunge. My dimensions are not so extreme. I weigh in at 165 lbs. Broad back/shoulders is what throws off the dimensions.
    Rossini, can you give details on Zegna MTM program? Probably my best fitting suit is Zegna "Su Misura" that I got on Ebay. I assume that is is authentic. Even if not, it is a lovely piece. Much obliged.

6. WhaleinaTeardrop

I was just about to ask how Zegna fit you asI have found them to have a very athletic cut as far as the chest to waist ratio, but, they seem to run a little small through the arms and thighs so I was a hesitant to mention them at first with knowing your measurements...

7. deliberate1

United States
    Maine
    Sedgwick
    Agreed. Thighs not a problem, but jacket is tight in the delts and biceps. Perhaps I should spend less time in the gym to make myself an easier fit....now that's the worst idea of the morning.

8. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Wow, a 20" drop! Are you a superhero or something?

9. WhaleinaTeardrop

I wish.

No, I played football in high school, I wrestled in high school and college, dabbled in bodybuilding for a few years and have been powerlifting for the past 8 years. When I was more into bodybuilding and staying lean, I had a 27" waist; my waist was smaller than my thighs, it was crazy!

10. WhaleinaTeardrop

Naaah.....Squat DEEP, deadlift HEAVY and EAT. You'll be filling out those pants in no time! HAHAHA!!!!!