eric glennie

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Good Evening Gentlemen ! I am a new fashion designer in the business and i am doing some market research to see what the menswear community thinks about new collar styles. I U.S. patented these collars many years ago and i would like to know if men are willing to wear unique dress shirts collars. Please view my website www.ericglennie. com to view some unique collar designs perhaps you may have never seen before. I shaped dress shirt collars around the necktie knot to show the neckline with a cleaner style by placing the collar points behind the necktie. Thanks gentlemen for your time and hope you enjoy my art. Please let me know what you think or dont think about a new collar style for menswear. Thanks again Eric Glennie. 952-913-8708

Last edited:

rip

Advanced Member
Absolutely not! Your collars don't seem to allow for differing knot sizes, something I enjoy playing with, and, as the previous poster observed, it's a bit too goombah for me.

eric glennie

thanks rip for your reply. breaking tradition is difficult. for many years the focal point of the mans neckline has been the tie knot. my designs break that tradition and make the focal point of the neckline the collar. the color or pattern of the necktie shows thru the various collar designs producing a consistent tie knot. no matter how horrendous the tie knot is constucted, only the color of the tie shows thru the collar rather than construction or type of knot. i enjoy challenging tradition and thinking outside the box. that is what fashion is all about. if i wanted to be a designer in today's market , than i would just print out a bunch of labels and place them on the same old , traditional dress shirt and call myself a designer. i hope you enjoy my art because i am not just a label, but a fashion designer. thanks for your response. i really appreciate your point of view. eric glennie.

mafoofan

Albania
Albania State
Albania City
Breaking with tradition is fine, so long as you've got a coherent reason for it. Why do you want to change the focus from a man's tie knot to his collar? Yes, your collars look weird, but that's not a problem in and of itself. The real problem to me is that I don't think they'd flatter many faces and the design doesn't make any sense.

By narrowing the opening for the tie to show through, you are also increasing the expanse of open cloth in the collar. That increased expanse and narrow sliver of tie will make any face look wider than it already is.

Also, if you want to break with tradition and draw attention away from the tie, why incorporate a tie in your thinking to begin with? Long-staying styles tend to be true to underlying structures and components. Your collar hides the tie underneath and thus, as a design, fights to free itself from a context that it need not adopt in the first place. This is either aethetically incoherent or timid, depending on how you look at it.

arnach

Bolivia
Cocobombo
Cocobombo
Please let me know what you think or dont think about a new collar style for menswear. Thanks again Eric Glennie. 952-913-8708
I don't intend to be crude, and I mean this in all seriousness:

Your collar styles seem to be highly evocative of female genitalia.

EAP

Eric,

The patent numbers referenced on your site should be prefixed with "D" as in D396,539, as they are design patents, not utility patents. Utility patent 396,539 would date to 1889. Others (potential licensees) might not catch this and come up empty on a search.

I believe that any and all feedback received here will be in contrast to classic style. Consequently, I wouldn't expect acceptance. Fashion ≠ style. Not here.

I'm here to learn and mostly keep quiet, however I do understand patents and will break squelch occasionally.

Check out http://thesouthsbest.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_10&products_id=23 (from a Trad forum post) as a prime example of an excellent design with a market, furthermore one that could have potentially benefited from a design patent to prevent copying. But the key here is having a market.

Last edited:

eric glennie

response to faded 501's

thanks faded 501's for taking a look at my website. I did talk to Stacy Adams in New York City and they directed me to their corportate offices in Milwaukee, Wi. The secretary said Stacy Adams has their own inhouse design team and they are not interested in taking a look at a freelance designers new ideas. I have had numerous companies tell me this so i will have to blaze this trail solo. I would like to sign a licensing agreement with an established designer or manufacturing looking for a designer like myself. Most companies are unwilling to take a chance with a new idea . The markets on these collar have not been tested and i dont have the money to advertise my designs thru the media. For that company that wants to try my unique dress shirts in their stores or develop a partnership , we can sign a risk-free licensing agreement to see if there is a market for my designs. These collars can bomb or they could be the next greatest idea in fashion. who know unless these shirts are marketed! I believe my market is the Stacy Adams customer, so if there is a company looking for a new designer please forward my information. thanks eric.

Last edited: