eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
New arrival from Sons of Henrey in burgundy lama calf. Not actual lama - but an impressively soft and supple grain leather.

Given my history of excessive shoe/boot purchases, Mrs Eagle gives me the look (you know, that look we men all try to avoid) every time I buy another pair. However, if those boots were actual llama hide, I believe she would gleefully buy them for me. Years ago she was spat upon by a llama at a county fair we attended with the kids and grand kids and I suspect she would consider a pair of llama hide boots to be poetic justice for past grievances. LOL. I've got to find me some llama boots! Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Given my history of excessive shoe/boot purchases, Mrs Eagle gives me the look (you know, that look we men all try to avoid) every time I buy another pair. However, if those boots were actual llama hide, I believe she would gleefully buy them for me. Years ago she was spat upon by a llama at a county fair we attended with the kids and grand kids and I suspect she would consider a pair of llama hide boots to be poetic justice for past grievances. LOL. I've got to find me some llama boots! Thanks for the inspiration. ;)
I know that look All. Too. Well.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Hi,

I read lot of people say "burgundy" for a color that I always think was "bordeaux". They are the same?
Are they the same? No. Is there universal agreement on the appropriate terms for all the varying shades of red? Also no. Does everyone see the exactly the same shade on their monitor as you do on yours? No again! Am I ever going to stop asking myself questions and then answering them? Yup! :)

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I once ordered a pair of loafers from AE. Same style as another one I owned. One was burgundy. The other merlot. When they came, they were Exactly. The. Same. Color. Sent them back because SWMBO would not allow that.

Woofa

Just got these beauties off eBay. Knew the name but had never seen a pair before. Out of the box they are a little snug, have shoe trees in them and will have to touch them up a bit but these are clearly nice quality shoes.
does anyone know much about them? Not a lot on the internet except they made exceptional bespoke shoes in Rome and Silvano Lattanzi bought them out at some point. Happy to hear more. Would bespoke shoes have a size?
058A32C4-CF2A-4EF9-937D-C2C9848064D7.jpeg
4264A97B-CCC4-493E-97F3-6CB084DA6F80.jpeg
4FB24297-D1E4-4906-B27D-B3A7E16CFAC2.jpeg
74FA2B94-1E84-49EB-B19A-A2396E1E9D59.jpeg

winghus

I purposely left off the name of the maker as an experiment. Who do you think? Is it EG or someone else?
I wouldn't think EG, no. The finishing isn't what I would expect from them. The toe is more bulbous than any Galway pictures I've seen but I don't know their lasts honestly as EG is out of my price range. Looks more like one of the many Galway styled boots out there done in (willow?) zug. I've thought about doing an MTO for a zug boot with a Ridgeway sole with someone like Lof &Tung.

Are they C & J?

CLTesquire

I wouldn't think EG, no. The finishing isn't what I would expect from them. The toe is more bulbous than any Galway pictures I've seen but I don't know their lasts honestly as EG is out of my price range. Looks more like one of the many Galway styled boots out there done in (willow?) zug. I've thought about doing an MTO for a zug boot with a Ridgeway sole with someone like Lof &Tung.

Are they C & J?
So these are from Foster & Son. The last is really, really close to the Edward Green 64 last, which is kind of a bulbous boot last and honestly fits me about the same as this boot. I will say that the 202 or 82 lasted Galways give a much different look. That has its place but wasn’t what I was looking for in this instance.

The leather is indeed Zug. Oak zug from Horween to be precise.

Style wise they are as close to work oriented Galway styles as I have seen from any other maker. The only real difference is the stitching that parallels the eyelets is a touch more angular on the Fosters and more gently curving on a Galway.

Construction wise they are close but not at the level of EG. Galways are simply cleaner at certain areas of the shoe, the heel being one of them. I would say the burnishing isn’t the same level but that may be more a product of the Zug leather, which is a much thicker, tougher, and more resistant leather than the country calf Galways that I have. I have seen a Foster boot in country calf and the burnishing was much better.

All in all, I’m pretty pleased with them, especially given that they were 40% of the cost of a comparable Galway. I wanted something to wear in cruddy weather chasing my kids outside and I think these will be perfect for that use.

winghus

So these are from Foster & Son. The last is really, really close to the Edward Green 64 last, which is kind of a bulbous boot last and honestly fits me about the same as this boot. I will say that the 202 or 82 lasted Galways give a much different look. That has its place but wasn’t what I was looking for in this instance.

The leather is indeed Zug. Oak zug from Horween to be precise.

Style wise they are as close to work oriented Galway styles as I have seen from any other maker. The only real difference is the stitching that parallels the eyelets is a touch more angular on the Fosters and more gently curving on a Galway.

Construction wise they are close but not at the level of EG. Galways are simply cleaner at certain areas of the shoe, the heel being one of them. I would say the burnishing isn’t the same level but that may be more a product of the Zug leather, which is a much thicker, tougher, and more resistant leather than the country calf Galways that I have. I have seen a Foster boot in country calf and the burnishing was much better.

All in all, I’m pretty pleased with them, especially given that they were 40% of the cost of a comparable Galway. I wanted something to wear in cruddy weather chasing my kids outside and I think these will be perfect for that use.
What sole do they have? And yeah, I would bet zug is the reason they don't look as well finished as other F&S shoes I've seen.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.