New Shoes Thread

EDC390

United States
CA
Los Altos
Can I open this topic back up a bit?
I was looking around at another pair of boots from the same source, and got a little more info:

Beckett Simonon say they employ a McKay machine to perform the Blake stitching. They go on to insist that because of this, the shoes are easy to resole.

McKay bought the Blake patent during, what, the (U.S.) Civil war?
Anybody familiar with the McKay machine? Can it possibly produce the Blake Rapid stitch? Are Blake (McKay) stitched shoes easy for a reasonably well-stocked and well-trained cobbler to resole? Or must they be sent to a manufacturer?

CLTesquire

United States
NC
Waxhaw
Thought I'd mention this for those that could be interested. Gaziano & Girling, with whom I have no affiliation other than being a fan, is offering a GMTO right now. This was posted on the other forum two days ago I believe.

The details are that there are three models that are part of the GMTO (the Strand, the Rothschild, and something else that I can't recall), all of which will be on G&G's square deco last. The big benefit is that you can choose any color you want, including a patina that they do, for no upcharge and no MTO fee. I believe shoe trees are included as well. Metal toe taps are extra. If you like one of the models offered and the square deco last (@Watchman you might be interested) this is a pretty good offer.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
Thought I'd mention this for those that could be interested. Gaziano & Girling, with whom I have no affiliation other than being a fan, is offering a GMTO right now. This was posted on the other forum two days ago I believe.

The details are that there are three models that are part of the GMTO (the Strand, the Rothschild, and something else that I can't recall), all of which will be on G&G's square deco last. The big benefit is that you can choose any color you want, including a patina that they do, for no upcharge and no MTO fee. I believe shoe trees are included as well. Metal toe taps are extra. If you like one of the models offered and the square deco last (@Watchman you might be interested) this is a pretty good offer.
Why did you have to mention this to me....my wallet abhors you....

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
Post a link.

“Honey, do I need another hole in my head?”
“No, but you do need a casual S/S alternative to your current loafers”
“Thanks dear. How about something in suede with a tassel?”

CCF3B4C9-60A9-487F-8519-E1ECF913B40F.jpeg 73B6207C-579D-46F1-822D-AA4649515AC4.jpeg

“WHat about a bow”?

FE70DC49-1EE8-41A0-BA03-83305542A640.jpeg

“IDK, I’ll ask the guys. I like navy shoes, but for S/S they seem difficult to pair. Can’t wear them with Khaki Chinos. Too stark a contrast with White, pink, green, or yellow. Might go with Nantucket Reds, or Seersucker. Blue Oxford, and light blue poplin might work. Medium and dark blue/Navy linen are out. That’s my repertoire. Navy seems to to want grey or even olive as a partner. Must be a F/W thing”

“Well Dear, what don’t you see what that nice CLT is talking about. Maybe you’ll spend so much money you won’t even be thinking about another pair of shoes.”

“Thanks Babe. You’re so understanding. You don’t mind what I buy while you’re tooling around in your new Lexus.”

“Oh, What was that? You want to renovate the kitchen?:icon_aportnoy:

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Woofa, may you long wear those exceedingly handsome and well made shoes and may you do so only in good health! ;)