Tenacious Tassel

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
OK
Okc
Granted, it has been 2-3 years since I last purchased one of these, or even looked for one. When on earth did Bean stop carrying this sweater? I thought this was just about their signature piece of clothing? Its even highlighted in the OPH, for what thats worth.

I was thinking about a navy/red one I thought I saw a few years back.

Is this a new thing, or am I completely out of touch?

I guess I'll surf ebay for used ones, although I hate buying sweaters and finding out the necks are so stretched out (from hanging on sweaters?) that I could step into it to wear it!

tripreed

Advanced Member
United States
Alabama
Birmingham
Granted, it has been 2-3 years since I last purchased one of these, or even looked for one. When on earth did Bean stop carrying this sweater? I thought this was just about their signature piece of clothing? Its even highlighted in the OPH, for what thats worth.

I was thinking about a navy/red one I thought I saw a few years back.

Is this a new thing, or am I completely out of touch?

I guess I'll surf ebay for used ones, although I hate buying sweaters and finding out the necks are so stretched out (from hanging on sweaters?) that I could step into it to wear it!
Yes, it is an unfortunate situation. I believe that the last time they carried them was the fall/winter of 2004. While Ebay is always a good bet, I'd say that if you want a new one, the Nobby Shop in Nantucket was carrying ones that looked pretty much identical to Bean's. They're not available on their website (http://www.nobbyshop.com/), but I saw them in the store this summer. Just give them a call 508-228-1030, they're very helpful.

Tenacious Tassel

United States
OK
Okc
Trip -- thanks for the heads up, I will.

Patrick, did you see the neck on that thing? Thats what I am talking about, that has to be like a 30" neck or something. I hate big necked sweaters.

tripreed

Advanced Member
United States
Alabama
Birmingham
Patrick, did you see the neck on that thing? Thats what I am talking about, that has to be like a 30" neck or something. I hate big necked sweaters.
No, I know what you mean. I was fortunate enough to get a Norwegian sweater from Bean a year or two before they discontinued them. The neck is actually quite tight, making it almost difficult for layering over an OCBD. At least if you had a new one, you could stretch it out yourself.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I have an LL Bean Norweigen from the mid 80s that is 100% wool.
I have an old LL Bean shawl collared cardigan that, according to the tag in the sweater, is 100% wool. Actually pulled it out and wore it a few days ago when outside temps dropped below freezing, and the TRAD in me prevented our firing up the boiler this early in the year.

boatshoes

How do you gents wear yours? Seems a bit thick to wear over, say an oxford, but too scratchy to wear over an undershirt.

Topsider

Honors Member
United States
VA
Newport News
How do you gents wear yours? Seems a bit thick to wear over, say an oxford, but too scratchy to wear over an undershirt.
I wear mine over an OCBD or cotton turtleneck. My favorite is a pink OCBD, although a white turtleneck runs a close second.

tew

United States
Illinois
CHICAGO
so, what's this?

So, the "Scandinavian Style Sweater" is not it?

It's 60/20/20 lambswool/acrylic/nylon. $49.

xcubbies

United States
Maine
Portland
I was in their new store in Burlington, MA and thought I saw a Norweigan sweater, though I think the actuall wool content was only around 60% or there abouts.

Tenacious Tassel

United States
OK
Okc
Just as....

I finally got one off Ebay....oh well, I will buy a 2nd as a back up. I wonder if the slight change in fabric will make it better/worse.