Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
IMO it's part of visual messaging and marketing in the current socio-political climate.

Suit + tie became associated with uptight old-guard Conservatives, elitism etc ; everyone wishing to appear young, modern, Liberal, populist etc. all rushed to the other side of the fence with open-collars / no tie.

New Old Stock

United States
New York
New York
IMO it's part of visual messaging and marketing in the current socio-political climate.

Suit + tie became associated with uptight old-guard Conservatives, elitism etc ; everyone wishing to appear young, modern, Liberal, populist etc. all rushed to the other side of the fence with open-collars / no tie.
Im not sure its entirely liberal, & it certainly isn't current. Politicians have been losing the jacket/tie & rolling their sleeves up in the midwest states for years. The shirts are also usually blue to try and fit in with the blue collar worker. A bit on the nose, but people continue to eat it up.

There are definitely times wearing a jacket without a tie is appropriate, but IMO it will never look as good as the same outfit with a tie. And a suit without a tie just looks like you forgot to finish getting dressed that morning - or don't know how to tie a tie! The idea that theyre uncomfortable is ridiculous. Tied correctly, you shouldnt be able to tell you have one on. And I'd be willing to bet half the time its the shirt collar - incorrectly sized - that is to blame.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta

If I see two men walking down the street, and one is in a jacket and tie and the other is wearing jeans'. tee shirt, and a baseball cap, and I have to wager who's liberal and who's conservative, I'm putting my money on the tie-wearer as the liberal.

See how we can tweak this messaging? (for those following along, it's the *baseball cap* which directed the wager.)

As accessories go, ties aren't the "political" ones.

DH

Color 8

United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
If I see two men walking down the street, and one is in a jacket and tie and the other is wearing jeans'. tee shirt, and a baseball cap, and I have to wager who's liberal and who's conservative, I'm putting my money on the tie-wearer as the liberal.

See how we can tweak this messaging? (for those following along, it's the *baseball cap* which directed the wager.)

As accessories go, ties aren't the "political" ones.

DH
Depends on the cap, obviously. Michael Moore is never without one.

And I agree it's nothing new - JFK was frequently photographed without a tie, or with it loosened and his collar button undone, for all the reasons mentioned.

I will cite this an example of the current trend : IME most of the people on FOX wear ties, and most of the people on MSNBC do not (anchors excluded).

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton

Judge much?

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Suggestion: At your earliest convenience, go to Google and in the search field, type "define inane". (Leave out the quotation marks.) You will immediately see the definition of inane: "silly, stupid."

You will then see a long list of synonyms for "inane." (My favorite is "jejune"--be sure to click on that one.)

"Inane" and all of its synonyms--especially "jejune"--apply to any argument that attempts to prove a correlation between the wearing/not wearing of neckties and political persuasion.

I hope this otherwise reasonable thread's inane digression into the realm of the political exhausts itself soon. For those interested in jejune theories about the intersection of politics and ties, you have the Interchange.

Last edited:

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
I almost always wear a tie....primarily because at our advancing ages we may not have a lot of years left, but we have a crap-ton of ties and shoes left to wear out! LOL. Seriously though, old habits are just hard for some of us to break. ;)
I have personally seen eagle2250 wearing only a tie and no suit while walking down Michigan Avenue.