Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
Okay...I have a grey/charcoal grey sort of salt-and pepper day waistcoat in (I think) tweed-its definitely wool. Would this be acceptable for wear with either formal day dress (morning coat) or the single-breasted version of the stroller?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
We'd have to see pictures but my first reaction is, 'no'. Tweed is an informal, countryside material that doesn't match well with smooth worsteds. Tweed goes with corduroy, moleskin or the stouter kinds of flannel, not the sort of worsted fabric that morning coats and strollers are typically made from.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
No, that would not be acceptable as it’s too sporty. You need a light-coloured linen, silk or worsted waistcoat for these more formal types of dress.

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
I had a feeling not; but thought I'd check.

So; as regards morning dress and the SB striller; the only real options are dove grey, tan/camel, eggshell blue (but I'd best be careful with that one) and black for more solemn occasions? I have cashmere striped trousers (as well as some houndstooth trousers) and a charcoal grey DB jacket that I wear as a sort of 'stealth' stroller for work quite often, but I've been after doing a single-breasted one for a while.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I had a feeling not; but thought I'd check.

So; as regards morning dress and the SB striller; the only real options are dove grey, tan/camel, eggshell blue (but I'd best be careful with that one) and black for more solemn occasions? I have cashmere striped trousers (as well as some houndstooth trousers) and a charcoal grey DB jacket that I wear as a sort of 'stealth' stroller for work quite often, but I've been after doing a single-breasted one for a while.
A black waistcoat would have to match the jacket in the same material, and it was traditionally not only for solemn occasions like funerals but also for business.

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
Ties basically within the realms of taste?

Trousers: cashmere striped, houndstooth, prince of Wales check...any others?

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
Shirts white or contrast-white collar/pastel body or subtle stripes?

Are any other pastelly waistcoats (within the realms of taste) okay?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
What year is that image from?
Unfortunately, my image archive isn't searchable, but I happened to find it, and it's from Esquire, April 1935.

Here's another a bit different, but which might also entertain, and it's from January 1938.

upload_2019-5-18_18-24-20.png