DrumminD21311

Starting Member
I'm newly obese (not huge, skinny most of my life) but can't find long-sleeve shirts or sweaters that fit. I'm 5'8 and my arms are short, around size 32.5. I wear a large in most shirts but an X-large if it is a small X-large. The sleeves are always too long if I order a long-sleeve shirt or sweater in my size. What should I do? Is there somebody I should buy clothes from specifically for my shape? Should I roll my sleeves up?

never behind

I guess I’m obese too. Ha.

Seriously, I have the same issue. 5’9-10” and wear size L t-shirt. I’m also 32.5”sleeve. I gave up on OTR dress shirts and went to MTM. Proper Cloth is my favorite. I can get the right sleeve length and a proper cuff size too.

I’m new to the sweater game but I’ve found places that sell numerical sizes are best. Normally the sleeves are long but you can cuff and it looks good. Overall there is better control of fit vs S/M/L. O’Connell’s is a good vendor of sized (e.g., 42 or 44) sweaters. I am sure others can provide more sources. I’m addicted to O’Connell’s since I’m slightly nuts for Shetlands.

Steve Smith

I'm newly obese (not huge, skinny most of my life) but can't find long-sleeve shirts or sweaters that fit. I'm 5'8 and my arms are short, around size 32.5. I wear a large in most shirts but an X-large if it is a small X-large. The sleeves are always too long if I order a long-sleeve shirt or sweater in my size. What should I do? Is there somebody I should buy clothes from specifically for my shape? Should I roll my sleeves up?
Move from sport shirt sizing (S M L XL )to dress shirt sizing (17.5-32 for example). Sport sizing is a crude measure and will not fit everyone.

Let's say you have a 17.5 inch neck. Perhaps an XL Brooks Brothers shirt is 17.5-35 and too slim. Look at BB dress shirt sizing where you can get 17.5-32 through 17.5-38, and you can get most of those in four different fits. That is 28 different sizes with a 17.5 neck.

Your size is in there somewhere.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
My suggestion is to find yourself a significant other who is skilled with a sewing machine or a good seamstress to alter ill-fitting clothes you may have purchased. SWMBO has been working small miracles, for many years to make my clothes fit me, inspite of my poor purchasing decisions and my bad dieting approach! That's why we call them our better half. LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.