Brio1

United States
Xanadu
Xanadu
Didn't find insulting at all, and I don't hate Christianity. It made me laugh. If necessary we can take this to the Interchange, but why do you find it insulting?

Poor little persecuted Christians ! :cry:

Let's not forget, the artist (who was not heterosexual, which is an affront to some Christians) was, presumably, paid a fair amount of money for the original work--he profited from religion, which some might find blasphemous. SG, on the other hand, was paid nothing. I'm just sayin'.

Well , most Christians of the right wing variety choose to worship the dollar in place of the Cross anyway.

End of the day, my favorite Christians are the ones who are most tolerant.
I favor the more rational ones ...

benjclark

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Omaha, Nebraska
United States
Nebraska
Omaha
Wow this got derailed.

@clark_kent -- No, I did not see JFK's Omega. I'm not aware if they have it at the Cosmosphere.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Those interested in discussing art and religion might check out the Interchange, where lots of stuff is getting said.

As for JFK's watch, his cigar box ended up in a Vegas pawn shop. Lord knows who has the watch.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
My understanding, from what I've read, is that astronauts were free to wear whichever watch they chose but that the Speedy Pro was the only one tested by NASA and passed its testing criteria.

clark_kent

United States
New York
Staten Island
Wow this got derailed.

@clark_kent -- No, I did not see JFK's Omega. I'm not aware if they have it at the Cosmosphere.
Oh... The error's on my part, Ben:

"....The wristwatch eventually made its way into the Robert L. White Collection, a trove of items relating to JFK ranging from furniture to the President's wallet. After White's death, the collection was sold at auction in New York in 2005, with the Omega wristwatch acquired by the Omega Museum for US$350,000..."

source:
http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2015/08/hands-on-with-john-f-kennedys-omega.html?m=1

I assumed it would be in the museum you went to.

clark_kent

United States
New York
Staten Island
Pardon my brief digression , Mr. Clark.
No need to apologize. Discussions always have the potential to take different routes. I actually didn't mind the different views on the same piece of art work. So long as all "punches" stayed above the belt, I think this is a very good "exchange" of views. I'll be heading over to the interchange if this ends up there

tocqueville

Suspended
United States
DC
Washington
So this is the thread that caused the ruckus...

Thanks for posting benjclark. I love the Speedy, it's one of the few watches I aspire to own. I've convinced myself that I'll get it for my 50th. Which will be all too soon.

That watch is iconic because of its associations with NASA and what I would describe as 1960s American modernism. It is as trad as the Brooks Brothers suits of the day.

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
My understanding, from what I've read, is that astronauts were free to wear whichever watch they chose but that the Speedy Pro was the only one tested by NASA and passed its testing criteria.
I'm no lab tech, but did this testing involve more than placing a running watch in a vacuum, maybe goosing the temperature a few times, and making sure it was still operating correctly? Did other watches fail?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts